Panthers keep rolling

The Panther volleyball team went into University of Illinois-Chicago and came out with a straight-set win.

This gives the Panthers their first back-to-back wins since Sept. 18 and 20 of this year, against Saint Francis (Penn.) and Western Illinois.

Since that time, the Panthers have gone 3-5, including 2-5 in the Ohio Valley Conference. This includes their current winning streak.

Senior outside hitter Erin Hake said the Panthers look to keep building on their momentum, going into the remainder of their OVC schedule.

“Sweeping another team is definitely a confidence builder,” Hake said.

Senior outside hitter Alex Zwettler posted her second consecutive double-double, notching 15 kills to go along with 15 digs. This was also her 41st career double-double as a Panther.

Head coach Kate Price said that Zwettler is a great team player with the tools to succeed at any position.

“Alex has a great volleyball IQ,” Price said. “She could play anywhere you put her.”

Zwettler said that her accomplishment was not important, adding that the Panthers won as a team, and that’s what counts.

Zwettler, who had been starting at libero, in place of injured junior Brittany Wallace, returned to her natural outside hitter spot this past Saturday, mid-match in order to provide an additional offensive spark.

Hake also said that a key to victory was the teams defense, led my senior middle blocker Jorie Dieter with nine blocks.

“Our defense tonight was definitely the best it’s been all year,” Hake said.

Hake also said that this will hopefully be a sign of good things to come.

“The start of a (winning) streak would definitely be great,” Hake said.

Price said that the Panthers’ have re-discovered the consistency that they had earlier in the year, and that will be a key in being successful moving forward.

“We had consistency earlier in the year,” Price said. “Then it just faded.”

Following the match with Tennessee-Martin this Friday, the Panthers will play Murray State, who they beat last month at Lantz Arena.

The win brings the Panthers back up to .500, giving them a 10-10 overall record.

The Panthers’ match with Murray State this Saturday will begin the second part of their OVC schedule, as they begin to play opponents a second time.

The Panthers’ next match is against Tennessee-Martin in Martin, Tenn. this Saturday. They will play their next home match on Oct. 26, against the Skyhawks.

Brad Kupiec can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected]

Panthers keep rolling

Panthers keep rolling

Senior outside hitter Erin Hake sets the ball for another player to spike during a game against the Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles on Saturday at Lantz Arena. (Jordan Boner