Panthers finally come home

The Panthers are coming off of a match against Southeast Missouri State that did not end in a Panther victory.

Although the Panthers did not walk off the field with a win on Sunday, they did manage to put together a complete game.

“It was good to have a full game to progress throughout the week,” sophomore forward Kristin Germann said. “We just need wins this weekend.”

Head coach Summer Perala’s team will look to build off the good play and try to get back in the win column as they return to Lakeside Field for the first time in six games.

The Panthers will host the Morehead State Eagles in their first home conference match of the season on Friday.

The Panthers are currently 1-2 in the Ohio Valley Conference, while the Eagles are sitting pretty on top of the conference standings with a record of 3-0.

To knock off the Eagles, the Panthers offensive attack must capitalize on scoring opportunities, and the defensive play will have to continue its dominance.

“We have been working on finishing and trying to complete our last pass to create more shots on goal,” junior defenseman Erika Prazma said. “Knowing that they are in first place doesn’t matter as long as we come out and play our game.”

The Panthers defensive core ranks among the best in the conference when it comes to goals allowed, averaging .86 goals allowed a game.

In last season’s meeting, the Eagles knocked off the Panthers 1-0 in overtime in Morehead, Ky.

Friday’s match up against Morehead State is a critical match for Perala’s squad, as the top six teams qualify for the Ohio Valley Conference Championships. The Panthers find themselves currently sitting in 7th place in the OVC.

The Panthers will wrap-up their first weekend of home conference play, as they host the Eastern Kentucky Colonels on Sunday afternoon.

The Colonels are also among the unbeaten teams in the OVC, with a record of 3-0. The Panthers homecoming will be one of the toughest weekends of the season.

“We know both teams are going to give us a really competitive game, but we just need to come out and play at their level,” Prazma said.

Jordan Pottorff can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Panthers finally come home

Panthers finally come home

Junior Hilary Blake defends a Belmont player Sept. 10 at Lakeside Field. The Panthers play Morehead State Friday afternoon at Lakeside Field. (Audrey Sawyer