Team falls to losing record

This weekend the Eastern volleyball team went 0-2, losing to Ohio Valley Conference opponents Tennessee State and Austin Peay.

The Panthers, who had been a winning team on the road and only 1-2 at Lantz Arena, lost back-to-back road matches for only the third time this year. The other two times came during tournaments earlier in the season.

They are now 7-7 away from their home court and 1-2 at Lantz Arena heading into this weekend’s home stand.

Freshman outside hitter Reynae Hutchinson was the only Panther to hit double-digit kills in both matches, including her second career double-double against Tennessee State, notching 20 kills to go along with 10 digs.

Hutchinson also led all players on the court with 10 kills in the match against Austin Peay.

Eastern now has its first losing record of the season, falling to 8-9 with their two losses this weekend on the road.

Eastern’s junior setter Chrissie Albers had 74 assists between the two matches.

The Panthers will look to regain their winning ways against Jacksonville State and Tennessee Tech this weekend in Lantz Arena.

Senior Alex Zwettler, who has been the stating Libero for the last five matches, picked up 12 digs in each match for a weekend total of 24.

Sophomore middle hitter Alison Berens added 10 kills between the two matches as well as posting a pair of blocks against Tennessee State.

The volleyball team continues OVC play this weekend at home with a pair of matches at Lantz Arena. They will square off with Jacksonville State on Friday at 7 p.m., before opposing Tennessee Tech on Saturday at 2 p.m.

Around the OVC

Elsewhere in Ohio Valley Conference play, preseason favorite Morehead State defeated Eastern Kentucky on Thursday.

Tennessee Tech took down Tennessee-Martin and Murray State.

Austin Peay defeated Southeast Missouri, as well as Eastern.

Tennessee State beat Eastern before taking down SEMO.

Jacksonville State picked up two conference wins against Murray State and UT Martin.

Murray State earned a five-set victory over Tennessee Tech, following a loss to Jacksonville State.

SEMO lost to Austin Peay and Tennessee State.

UT Martin lost both of its matches this weekend, against Tennessee Tech and Jacksonville State.

Brad Kupiec can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected].

Team falls to losing record

Team falls to losing record

(Audrey Sawyer