Morgan, Streid leaders in win

The Eastern women’s soccer team hit the road for a pair of games over the weekend, as they faced the Austin Peay Governors and the Jacksonville State Gamecocks.

The Panthers opened the weekend against Austin Peay and were defeated, 1-0.

The Panthers suffered their second goal of the season, which led to the first victory in nine meetings for Austin Peay over Eastern.

“We got beat and they got a break away and the ball bounced off Sam Balek and off another defender and into the goal,” said head coach Summer Perala.

Ashley Streid, a sophomore forward, said the Panthers played a good game except for one mistake.

“We had a lot of good chances, but we just made a big mistake,” Streid said.

The Panthers were back in action Sunday and turned in a dominating performance against Jacksonville State.

Streid capped off the first half with her second goal of the season with only 12 seconds left on the clock.

“Sam Rall dribbled the ball up the field and her shot was deflected by the goalie and I kicked it in,” Streid said.

The last second goal gave the Panthers a 1-0 lead going into halftime.

It was Streid’s fifth career goal and her second goal against Jacksonville State in her career. Sophomore midfielder Jessie Morgan scored in the 85th minute for her first career goal as a Panther.

“It’s very exciting and a great feeling to get my first goal at EIU,” Morgan said.

The goal came on a corner kick by Ashley Eck that ran her team-leading assist tally up to three in 2010.

The Panther defense held Jacksonville State’s offensive attack to only two shots on Sunday.

Senior goalkeeper Kaylin Lorbert recorded her fourth shutout of the season and posted her 10th shutout of her career.

Sunday’s victory was the first time in nine games that Perala’s squad has walked off the opponent’s home field with a victory.

“It was a great complet game by everyone today,” Perala said. “We are really excited that we were able to get it done on the road for the first time in nine games. We gained a lot of confidence with today’s road win.”

With Sunday’s victory the Panthers are 1-1 in Ohio Valley Conference play and will be back in action this weekend against the Southern Illinois-Edwardsville Cougars and the Southeast Missouri State Redhawks.

Jordan Pottorff can be reached at 581-7944

or [email protected]

Morgan, Streid leaders in win

Morgan, Streid leaders in win

Freshman defender/midfielder Lauren Hoppensteadt keeps the ball inbounds and away from Belmont’s senior forward Madison Porter Sept. 10 on Lakeside Field. (Audrey Sawyer