Police present at series

Nearly sixty students attended the third Six Park Series event, “Alcohol and the Law” Wednesday night. The six-week event covers alcohol related topics giving students awareness across campus.

Wednesday night’s event focused on the laws involving alcohol for college students.

“Attendance this week was a lot higher than the first two events, due to more publicity. We sent out packets and a staff wide e-mail encouraging their students to attend,” said Jimmy Friesma, substance abuse coordinator at the Health Education Resource Center.

Many students attended because of requirements for the Gateway program. Several other students were encouraged to attend from their business class.

Officer Ryan D. Risinger, from the University Police Department, was the chosen speaker for the event.

“How many people in this room are 21?” Risinger asked. Only two students raised their hands.

Throughout the night, Risinger explained the affects alcohol could have on someone on any given night. Regardless of living on or off campus, underage drinking is against the law. Repercussions can be given by Eastern Student Standards or through the city of Charleston.

Both can differ depending on the violation.

Risinger explained how campus tickets are less severe than city ordinances and the fines involved in both.

“City ordinance violations help the city by receiving money, but officers are not out to get money,” Risinger said. “They are trying to preach the importance of alcohol on underage college students.”

Along with underage drinking comes driving under the influence.

Every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night, the Charleston Police have extra shifts for officers to be alert for alcohol violations. Additional officers are on duty throughout the city on DUI patrol.

“Eastern is small enough for students to walk,” Risinger said. “Walking uptown is about 10 blocks. There is no reason for drinking and driving.”

Consequences within the university can differ from Crawl to Advanced Crawl.

Another consequence Risinger talked about was a program sponsered by the Student Standard Board called Party Partners. This program is designed for students who do not need to attend a six-week program because their violation was minor.

“I understood a lot of the things Officer Ryan was saying, a lot of my questions were answered. Living in Chicago, the laws seem so different,” said J’briana Johnson, a freshman business management major.

Jennifer Schwendau can be reached at 581-7943 or [email protected].

Police present at series

Police present at series

Officer Ryan Risinger of the University Police Department talks to students at the Six Pack meeting on Wednesday in Lumpkin Hall. Risinger talked to students about the differences between the various citations that can be given out for alcohol-related off