Football alum dies in vehicle accident

Trent Steckel, former Eastern football player and alumnus, died on Friday morning, July 2, from fatal injuries caused by a motorcycle accident according to Northwest Herald in Crystal Lake.

The Northwest Herald reported that Steckel had been riding northbound on Live Oak Road in Crystal Lake when he exited the roadway to the west.

The article said he drove into a ditch, lost control of the Honda VTX1300C, and collided with a culvert.

The Northwest Herald said police reported Steckel was not wearing a helmet and was pronounced dead on the scene.

No witnesses have been reported.

Steckel, 24, was a member of the Panther football team from 2004-2007.

During his career, he helped Eastern win a back-to-back Ohio Valley Conference championship in 2005 and 2006, according to an Eastern press release.

In 2007, he aided the football team’s win over Jacksonville State and Tennessee State with two touchdowns, while also catching 14 passes for 106 yards.

He also served as a half-back for the football team his senior year.

“We were saddened to hear about the loss of Trent Steckel early this morning,” Eastern head coach Bob Spoo said in the press release. “Trent was an outstanding young man who will be dearly missed by his family, friends and the EIU football community.”

After graduating, Steckel was in preparation to become a firefighter.

According to the press release, Steckel had just completed a cadet program last week.

He moved to the apprentice level as a member of the Woodstock Fire Department and has been with the department since August 2009.

Visitation will be at 9 a.m. until noon this Saturday at the Davenport Family Funeral Home, 419 E. Terra Cota Ave., in Crystal Lake.

The procession will start at noon with a memorial service set for 1 p.m. at McHenry County College in Crystal Lake.

Rashida Lyles-Cowan can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

Football alum dies in vehicle accident

Football alum dies in vehicle accident

Trent Steckle, who played for the Eastern football team from 2004-2007 and graduated in 2009, died in a motorcycle accident on Friday, July 2. He was training to become a firefighter. (File Photo /The Daily Eastern News)