All Access with Erin O’Grady

Erin O’Grady may be finished with her track and cross-country career at Eastern, but she has definitely left her mark.

In her senior year alone, O’Grady won the OVC indoor track title in the 3,000-meter race and distance medley relay, and she took second in the mile. She also broke the school record for the steeplechase.

This year she was part of the Eastern team that won both the indoor and outdoor OVC conference championships.

O’Grady’s accomplishments don’t end there.

She was nominated for the OVC scholar-athlete award and chosen to speak at this year’s Academic-Athletic Banquet.

O’Grady was also put on the OVC Commissioner’s honor roll for her grades.

O’Grady was selected for the EIU Extend-a-Paw award. This award is given to an athlete who exceeds in their sport, has a high academic standing and is a leader in the community.

Running has almost always been a part of O’Grady’s life.

She joined her middle school’s track team in seventh grade and the cross-country team in eighth grade.

O’Grady was inspired to join track after beating out most of the boys in the mile run when she was only in fifth grade.

Through her four years in high school, O’Grady played basketball and ran track and cross-country.

Before every competitive race, O’Grady makes sure to have a green band on her right ankle that says, “Donate Life.”

This band was given to her after her senior year in high school when her grandmother passed away.

“It’s my grandma racing with me,” O’Grady said. “I don’t get on the line without her.”

O’Grady said she loves the challenge of running and pushing her body to the limits. She also loves the team aspect of running.

“My teammates are the world to me,” O’Grady said.

Even though her college running career is over, O’Grady plans to make running a part of her future. She now plans to run in road races, which she was not able to do in college.

“Running a marathon does not sound appealing to me,” O’Grady said. “But the shorter races are my thing.”

O’Grady wants to be a high school Spanish teacher, as well as coach high school track and cross-country in the future. She takes satisfaction in being able to show others what it takes to be a successful runner.

O’Grady said she is going to miss the Eastern track and cross-country team, especially her teammates and coaches.

“It always made me really proud to represent EIU on the track,” O’Grady said. “But now I can’t do that anymore.”

Abby Allgire can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

All Access with Erin O’Grady

All Access with Erin OGrady

O’Grady receives her medal for her first place finish in the 3,000-meter at the 2010 OVC Indoor Track Championships. (Submitted Photo)