Panthers come to life

The Panthers were down 1-5 against Southeast Missouri State going into the seventh inning, but that didn’t stop them.

Just last week the Panthers lost to SEMO 10-0. At Wednesday’s game, Eastern came back to win 10-5 in the 10th inning in the first round of the Ohio Valley Conference tournament.

Senior pitcher, Mike Recchia came into the game after a controversial call, which led to SEMO having the bases loaded.

Recchia threw three and two-thirds innings without a hit to close the game out.

Eastern Coach Jim Schmitz said after the controversial call in SEMO’s favor, the emotions started to change in the game, and the team seemed more fired up.

Right after the call and Recchia joining the game, the Panthers turned a double play to end the inning.

Eastern was down 1-5 going into the seventh inning, where they scored 4 runs to tie the score. The game went into a 10th inning, and the Panthers scored another five runs bringing the score to 10-5.

Schmitz said pitching was key for the team in Wednesday’s game. Pitching was also the biggest difference from this game compared to the 10-0 loss to SEMO just last week.

Schmitz said another asset to the game was the defense, especially that of senior infielder Cam Strang.

The Panthers have high hopes for the rest of the OVC tournament.

“Winning this first round lifted a huge weight off our shoulders,” Recchia said. “The shy is the limit now.”

Eastern will either play Jacksonville State or Tennessee Tech at 3 or 7 p.m. Thursday depending on the results of the other games.

Abby Allgire can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

Panthers come to life

Panthers come to life

Junior pitcher Mike Recchia throws during the Panther’s 10-0 loss to the Southeast Missouri State Redhawks on Saturday at Coaches Stadium. Despite the loss, the Panthers did make it into the Ohio Valley Conference Tournament. (Jordan Boner/The Daily East