Track and field fills campus

Hundreds of female runners from across the state competed in the IHSA State track and field tournament at O’Brien Field last Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Win or lose, the number one goal for all these runners was to enjoy the competition and to proudly represent their high school.

There were different race competitions, from 3200 meters to 100 meters as well as a variety of relays.

The high schools were divided into classes A1, A2 and A3.

This event did not only attracted runners but other spectators like coaches who were not participating in the event, as well as parents.

“This should be a good meet all around,” said Craig Collins, a track and field coach from Robert Morris University who helped assist the meet. “I think there are a lot of good races to held-especially the 400-meters, 200-meter, and 100-meters.

Relays, I think you’ll see good races across the board.”

Whether it was a rally or a long race, preparing runners mentally prior to the state meet is crucial to a good performance, Collins said. He added that a motivational speech is not enough.

“You want to mentally prepare your team and that does not take a one night speech, although it helps,” he said. “You are mentally preparing for this meet two or three weeks in advance-in some cases, day one of your practice back in January.”

Bruce Anderson, the track and field coach from Rochelle Township High School, thinks the same way about the mentality aspect of a runner. Anderson said during a race, 20 percent is physical work while mentality takes up the rest.

“You have to work on the mental aspect constantly,” Anderson said. “What you do is no verbalization of negative thoughts, it just has to be a positive focus all the time.”

The meet had a variety of runners, from those who were in pursuit of breaking previous records to those who were competing for the first time. Regardless of their experience in the track course, every runner had a strategy to follow during their race.

Aubree Schreder,17, a senior at Waterloo High School and first time runner on the 3200- meter state race, said her strategy was to maintain a steady pace.

“My strategy was not to push it too hard on my first lap and just to keep a steady pace so I could pick it up in the end,” she said.

Marcela Guillen, 17, a senior at Mcmarada High School, said her strategy is based upon goals.

“I set a goal to break 30, and I got 30,” Guillen said. “And we wanted to place on the top three, so my strategy was to keep an eye on the person ahead of us and go after them.”

Alexa Allen, 17, a senior from Riverdale High School who holds several school records on 100-meter hurdles, 4×100-meter, 4×200-meter, and 4×400-meter, said that her strategy was to focus.

To see the state track meet results, go to IHSA.com. Eastern will also host the boys state meet this weekend.

Pablo Rodriguez can be reached at [email protected].

Track and field fills campus

Track and field fills campus

Sarah Maxson, a junior high jumper from Springfield High School, clears 5 feet 8.5 inches, a new class 2A state record, at the high jump finals of the IHSA state track and field championships. Maxson later cleared 5 feet 9.5 inches. (Jordan Boner/The Dai