All Access with track star Zye Boey

One thing Zye Boey always does during his track meets and every race is chew a piece of gum.

“I don’t really think it’s a good luck thing, but for some reason I always need it,” he said.

Boey, who has been running since high school, is going to try to compete in the NCAA National Track Meet this year. But first, he and the relay team will have to finish in the top 12 at the NCAA Regional meet at the University of Texas.

Boey, a redshirt sophomore from Decatur, Ill., was named Ohio Valley Conference Athlete of the Year in 2009 for the outdoor season, has the second best time for the 100-meter dash in Panthers history and placed fifth in the NCAA Regional in 100-meter dash last year.

He competed in the NCAA National Meet last year and said it was a great experience. He liked being in an environment with all the best athletes.

Boey has high standards for himself, and despite his surgery last January, he is still looking to compete the best he can.

“My coaches and teammates told me that I was too hard on myself this year,” he said. “I kind of rushed back from surgery, not letting myself get back to maximum strength.”

Boey is excited for the regional meet this year and is looking forward to the competition.

Preparation is key for Boey, but he says the best way to prepare for an upcoming meet is to just do what he’s used to doing.

“Honestly, I approach every meet the same. I make sure I’m focused, my body feels good and ready to compete no matter what the conditions are and how good the competition is,” he said. “I treat every meet as if it was my last, but most of all I make sure I enjoy it and have fun with my teammates.”

Boey likes to talk to his twin brother, Ty, before and after every race. Boey said Ty is a big supporter and gives him motivation.

He prepares himself mentally as well as physically for every meet and plans to do the same for the NCAA Regional Track Meet.

He said he is the only person who can control what and how he does.

“I go into the meet feeling like no one can beat me,” he said.

Boey will compete in the 100-meter dash, in which he is ranked 29th. He will also compete in the 4×100-meter relay, in which his team is ranked 18th. The relay team includes Darren Patterson, Jacob Mitchell, Brandon Jelks and Marcus Williams.

Kristin Jording can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected].

All Access with track star Zye Boey

All Access with track star Zye Boey

Zye Boey, a red-shirt sophomore from Decatur, Ill., was named Ohio Valley Confernece Athlete of the Year in 2009, for outdoor season. (Kristin Jording/The Daily Eastern News)