Editor: Voice counts no matter who you are

Minority Today is an important asset on Eastern’s campus because it is an outlet for minorities’ voices to be heard.

Minority is defined as the smaller in number of two groups forming a whole.

The term minority can also be a group or party having fewer than a controlling number of votes.

In addition, a minority can be a racial, religious, political, national, or other group thought to be different from the larger group of which it is part.

Lastly, it is a group having little power or representation relative to other groups within a society.

Therefore, all of us at one time or another falls into the minority.

As next year’s editor in chief, I want to hear the voice of everyone on campus. This isn’t about race, creed or gender. I want to hear the people, their stories and their voices. And it’s simple. E-mail us. Call us. Whatever it takes. I’m here to listen.

I believe more students, faculty, and staff should become involved with this publication and help create change among the campus.

I have heard several times “Why should I care, no one else does?”

Or the common question ” Why should I try to improve the publication, it hasn’t been doing that well anyway?”

These questions can all be simply answered as followed; if you do not care who else will? If people continue to have that I don’t care attitude then who will care about our voices, rights, etc. Yes, the Daily Eastern News covers topics of diversity but not like Minority Today. Minority Today is geared toward minority issues and increasing diversity on and off campus. So, all I am asking for is the cooperation of the entire campus in order to help Minority Today develop and reach its full potential.

For the readers who continue to support Minority Today. Thank you.

Rashida Lyles-Cowan can be reached at 581-7942 or at

Editor: Voice counts no matter who you are

Must-have insurance information for new homeowners