Male Athlete of the Year: Laser thrives in leadership role

Tyler Laser knew his role would be different this season as opposed to his first two years. He had to lead the Eastern men’s basketball team when three-time leading scorer Romain Martin was sidelined with a knee injury.

The junior guard became the offensive, court and vocal leader in Martin’s absence. Laser led Eastern to its first Ohio Valley Conference Tournament win since 2001 and was the first Panther to be named All-OVC First Team since Henry Domercant in 2003.

For these reasons, Laser was chosen to be the 2009-10 Daily Eastern News Male Athlete of the Year.

The Hillsdale, Mich., native said he knew losing Martin would challenge the whole team, but he said he wanted everyone to step up. The 6-foot-1, 183-pound guard said he felt ready to step into the leadership role.

“I’ve grown so much since high school,” Laser said. “When I came here, I was like ‘I averaged 30 points per game in high school and I’m going to come in here and be able to do what I did in high school.’ But it was more physical with more speed of the game and more complex. It’s just learning from good coaches.”

Head coach Mike Miller said Laser has made strides from an injury-plagued freshman season.

“Most people coming into college, they primarily had the ball in their hands in high school, so they had to learn and get a great feel for playing away from the ball,” Miller said. “I think over the last few years, it’s probably the biggest thing. He uses his screens well, he sets things up, he’s more patient.”

Miller said he wants Laser to take another step for next season and knows his guard will come through.

“This year, he recognized how to use other people and find scoring opportunities and was more efficient as a player,” Miller said.

Sophomore guard Jeremy Granger said he could tell Laser was in charge at the season’s beginning when Martin was sidelined.

“He made it a point that he wanted everyone to work hard during workouts,” Granger said. “I knew from the jump that he was going to be the leader. We knew that all along.”

Red-shirt freshman forward James Hollowell was playing his first full season as a Panther this year and said Laser pushed him to succeed.

“Tyler brought the fire to everyone’s game,” Hollowell said. “He expected a lot out of me. At the beginning of the season, it was frustrating trying to get going and trying to get back into playing mode, but he just stayed on me.”

Hollowell said Laser taught him how to play hard on every play, both offensively and defensively, because every possession counts in a game.

“Every time we played, he would always come up to me and tell me what to look for and what to do and what should I try to avoid doing. He motivated me and had me learn to fight through everything.”

As an offensive leader, Laser was the main focus for opposing defenses. When he was hot, opponents would face-guard him to keep the ball out of his hands. Laser would pass to Granger, who averaged 10.3 ppg, and his teammates because he wanted to win.

“It opened (Granger) a lot when team’s started guarding me hard and he had some big games because (opponents) wouldn’t help off me,” Laser said. “When he is scoring like that, that opens me up because people have to help in the driving lanes and that makes him kick it out to me in the gaps for open looks.”

Granger said having Laser as his backcourt mate has made things easier for him on the court.

“It’s pretty fun playing with a player of Tyler’s caliber because sometimes he could bail you out,” Granger said. “If you go to the hole and he is wide open out there, when you pass it to him, 95 to 100 percent of the time he will knock the ball down.”

Granger also said when he would miss some shots, Laser would come up to him and say Granger was getting open looks and keep shooting the ball. Granger would then be impressed when Laser started hitting shots when the team is missing.

“I would see him get going and that would just boost the whole team up and get everyone going,” Granger said. “I feel he creates that momentum for us.”

The OVC recognized Laser’s achievements this season, giving him All-OVC First Team honors. He averaged 13.9 ppg, shot 40 percent from the field and 44 percent for three-pointers. No. 2 was an impressive 84 percent free throw shooter, aiding an upset of league powerhouse Morehead State 76-75 Feb. 11 when he hit two free throws with one second left.

The National Association of Basketball Coaches came knocking, too, by selecting Laser to second team All-District.

One way Laser stays on top of his game is going all out in team practices, while also pushing his teammates to the limit.

“I view practice as a way to get better,” Laser said. “Some people dread going to practice, but I love it and I love basketball. I would meet with Coach (Miller) and focus on an area to improve.”

Despite his honors, Laser said he wants to win an OVC Tournament Championship next season and try to get OVC Player of the Year, which he said can be a possibility with the development of Granger, Hollowell and his teammates.

“Anyone who experiences success has this drive and he has always had that in him,” Miller said.

The DEN Male Athlete of the Year said he credits his teammates for winning this award because they put him in good situations to succeed.

Past Winners

2009: Zye Boey (Track)

2008: Mick Galeski (Soccer)

2007: Vincent Webb Jr. (Football)

2006: Clint Sellers (Football)

2005: Aaron Grobengeiser (Track)

2004: C.J. Webber (Tennis)

2003: Henry Domercant (Basketball)

2002: Tony Romo (Football)

2001: Kyle Hill (Basketball)

Other Male Athlete of the Year Considerations

Darren Patterson, junior (Track)

Patterson has filled in nicely in the indoor sprints when red-shirt sophomore Zye Boey had a nagging injury. Patterson won OVC Male Track Athlete of the Year during the OVC indoor Championships and OVC Male Track Athlete of the Week four times.

James Hollowell, red-shirt freshman, (Basketball)

Hollowell started 13 games while playing in 30. He was third in team scoring with 7.2 points per game, second in rebounding with 4.8 per game, and led the team with 36 blocks. When Hollowell started, the team was 10-3 and he was on the OVC All-Newcomer Team and was OVC Freshman of the Week twice.

Otis Hudson, senior (Football)

Hudson was selected by the Cincinnati Bengals in the fifth round of the NFL Draft, becoming the first Eastern player to be drafted since 1999.

Bob Bajek can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected].

Male Athlete of the Year: Laser thrives in leadership role

Junior guard Tyler Laser was selected to be The Daily Eastern News’ Male Athlete of the Year. Laser became the team’s leader after former player Romain Martin was injured and led Eastern to its first playoff victory since 2001. He scored 13.9 points per g