Feature Photo: Striking a pose

(ARA) – Whether you’re seeking the ultimate getaway for summer vacation, a family reunion or just a break from the hustle and bustle of life, Cancun, located at the northeastern tip of Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula, is the ultimate destination.

In addition to warm, tropical beaches, the city also boasts some of the most beautiful diving and snorkeling spots in the world. The turquoise waters are so clear visibility can reach 100 feet. In addition to abundant sea life, there are also shipwrecks and underwater canyons to explore. The area is home to ancient Mayan ruins and artifacts, world renowned cuisine and some of the best night life spots in the world as well.

Because the city has so much to offer, Cancun vacations attract some 3 million tourists annually.

Getting there

Direct flights are available to Cancun through major hub airports in cities such as New York, Miami, Chicago, Los Angeles and Atlanta. Once you arrive, you can take ground transportation to your local hotel or resort.

Accommodations

Cancun hotels are available in just about every price range. If you want to find the most reasonable rates, consider staying in El Centro, Cancun’s main commercial center. The Zona Hotelera area hotels tend to be more expensive and luxurious. They are all located right along the beach. Many hotels offer all-inclusive packages as well as theme-night parties complete with food, beverages, activities and games.

Where to eat

Those who’ve been to Cancun many times will tell you the key to eating well is finding the local haunts, most of which are located in El Centro. Pick up a travel guide at your hotel for a list of restaurants and ask someone at the front desk which one they’d recommend. Dress is casual in most places, but be sure to bring shoes and a shirt along. Most places will turn you away if you’re not wearing them.

Cruises

If you don’t want to worry about finding food or accommodations, consider taking one of the many cruises that sail into Cancun. Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises and Norwegian Cruise Line are among the cruise lines that dock in the city.

When you arrive in Cancun you’ll have all day to play. You can either hang out on the beaches, go on an adventure safari in the jungle, visit the Mayan ruins, go diving, swimming or kayaking. When the day ends, you’ll simply hop back on the ship for either the return trip home or a voyage to another city.

Courtesy of ARAcontent

Feature Photo: Striking a pose

Feature+Photo%3A+Striking+a+pose+

Members of Alpha Sigma Tau perform during the airband competition Saturday evening in Lantz Arena.(Audrey Sawyer/The Daily Eastern News)