‘Slammin Salmon’ fails to live up to standards of a classic

Some films, especially comedies, become instant classics after only one viewing.

The Broken Lizard production crew made a monumental movement into Hollywood when they released the indie film “Super Troopers.” For me, and certainly for others, this film redefined what comedy is. It comes as no surprise that the bar was set high for their latest film “Slammin’ Salmon.”

After releasing films like “Club Dread” and “Beerfest” with mediocre success, it is understandable why many people have not heard of “Slammin’ Salmon.”

“Slammin’ Salmon” is a film that combines some of the traits of past comedies such as “Waiting” and “Employee of the Month (2006)” as the Broken Lizard team mixes food related humor and customer service jokes to mesh with their natural ability of amazing one-liners.

Nearly the entire cast of “Super Troopers” returns as the staff of a seafood restaurant owned by retired heavyweight boxer Cleon Salmon, played by Michael Clarke Duncan. Familiar faces fill the tables as past movie actors return to the screen playing awaiting patrons.

This film marks the first time Kevin Heffernan, better known as his character Farva in “Super Troopers,” has directed any of the films, and he seems to fit the mold nicely.

The plot is that Salmon has told Heffernan’s character that he must make $20,000 in that night or else the restaurant will go under. Couple this with threats of violence, and let the hilarity ensue.

The film is truly a let down though. Of course, this movie was not going to be better than “Super Troopers,” but the characters just were not fully utilized. Many of the funniest parts in the script were written for Duncan’s character. Even the guest appearances offer more jokes than the familiar cast.

Could it be that Heffernan, Jay Chandrasekhar, Steve Lemme, Paul Soter and Erik Stolhanske decided to write themselves the least amount material as possible in order to give other people a chance at stardom? Let us say it is unlikely at best.

This movie seems to be made just to make a couple extra bucks before the release of “Super Troopers 2,” or at least that is just assumed from limited theater releases, or more likely a straight to DVD release.

Perhaps the most astonishing aspect of the film is that it was shot in only 25 days. This is an accomplishment even for a studio as small as Broken Lizard Industries.

Many of the jokes are used or played out in a predictable manner and offer very little to the movie.

Standard is the perfect word to describe “Slammin’ Salmon.”

The film is sure to be a disappointment in the eyes of most, but that does not mean loyal fans will not find something to laugh about.

Broken Lizard is a group of friends making movies as friends for an audience of friends.

Something gratifying overwhelms the viewer as they realize that these friends made it with nearly no help. They pushed their way into Hollywood and do not plan to leave soon, or at least before the release of “Super Troopers 2.”

Brad York can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected].

Slammin Salmon fails to live up to standards of a classic

(photo courtesy of broken lizard industries)