Science, math group drives women

The efforts of the Women in Math and Sciences group have paid off. Members of the group feel more motivated to continue on toward a degree in math and sciences.

WiSM is a group that serves as a resource to female students pursuing degrees and careers in sciences and mathematics. The mission of WiSM is “to recruit and retain women students in sciences and mathematics, and to mentor and provide stewardship to women in sciences and mathematics majors for advances degrees and career tracks.”

Associate professor Barbara Carlsward is the President of the WiSM advisory board.

“WiSM is important because there are so few women in the field of science,” Carlsward said. “Look at how many male science professors there are compared to female.”

MaryAnne Hanner, dean of the College of Sciences, started WiSM in 2007, with a panel discussion of women at various stages in their careers along with round-table discussions with faculty and students.

WiSM hosts events featuring women from around the nation who have established themselves and can illustrate how rewarding a career in science or math can be.

An event in February featured speaker Heidi Hammel, a professor of Physics and Astronomy.

“That was really nice for me since there are so few physics majors,” said Maggie McAvoy a junior physics major from Normal.

“We are the rarest of the group,” said McAvoy about herself and friend Laura Dwyer, a junior from Bloomington and currently the only female mathematics and computer sciences major.

At WiSM events, students can hear women speak about their careers, ask advice and get ideas for their own career paths. Both McAvoy and Dwyer agree that speakers encourage women to continue stick with their choice pursuing degrees or careers in the field of math and sciences.

“These women show you can be a scientist and still have a life,” McAvoy said.

“It is really encouraging to see you don’t have to be totally absorbed in work,” Dwyer said.

WiSM holds workshops at middle schools throughout the area to promote children’s interest early.

“Interest is science is something that happens when you’re a kid,” Carlsward said.

Currently WiSM is made up of mostly professors; however, they are trying to get more students involved.

“Right now the focus is retention of science and math majors,” Dwyer said. “In the future, I think we’ll try to also focus on undecided majors.”

Kate Kelleher can be reached at 581-7942

or [email protected].

Science, math group drives women

Science, math group drives women

Alicia Wittenberg, junior mathematics major from Effingham, studies her Calculus III notes in Old Main Thursday evening. WiSM is a group that provides support to women who are pursuing a degree in science or mathematics. (Amir Prellberg/The Daily Eastern