Column: Plenty to watch this weekend

Column: Plenty to watch this weekend

If you want to be right in the middle of the media world, a career in audio production may be for you. Within the audio field, you can take a variety of career paths. You may have the opportunity to mix sounds for your favorite video game series, produce hit music, record the dialogue of famous actors and much more.

If you’re interested in a career in audio production, here’s a list of some of the most exciting positions available in the field. However, in order to prepare yourself for success, you must first gain industry-relevant knowledge and skills by pursuing an audio production degree.

Exciting careers in the audio production industry

Gaming

Spotlight: game audio engineer

If you love video games and have a talent for sound, you’ll feel right at home as a game audio engineer. Game audio engineers bring video games to life by creating realistic sound effects and original music. Because you are often required to create sound for objects and creatures that don’t exist in real life, game audio engineers must be extremely creative. These engineers must also be resourceful as they often have to create sounds from scratch on a low budget.

Other gaming jobs: soundtrack composer, audio creative director, audio test engineer

Radio

Spotlight: studio manager

Radio studio managers work to make sure live productions come off smoothly and cleanly. They work with producers to adjust sound levels, mix audio, piece together sound clips and create original content. Since much of their work is live, studio managers must be quick thinkers who are cool under pressure.

Other radio jobs: program manager, production manager

Movies

Spotlight: dialogue editor

A movie’s dialogue editor has the unique job of editing, synchronizing and smoothing the film’s dialogue. The dialogue editor starts working after the entire movie has been shot, matching the dialogue that was recorded on the set to the actors’ mouths on screen. Most times, parts of the dialogue recorded on the set aren’t useable. When this happens, the dialogue editor must get the actor back in studio to dub in the parts that didn’t come across well during production. Dialogue editors must be patient as they constantly tweak hours of audio to get the ideal sound.

Other movie jobs: foley artist, re-recording mixer

Music

Spotlight: composer

Composers are called upon to write new songs or take song ideas and flesh them out. Many composers work closely with recording artists to create songs that fit the artists’ style and personality. Other composers write original scores or arrange scores to be performed by an orchestra. Composers must use their creativity to write music that audiences perceive as being more original and exciting than the thousands of similar pieces that already exist.

Other music jobs: music editor, vocal production

Television

Spotlight: location sound engineer

Location sound engineers work on the sets of movies or television shows. They are responsible for making sure sound equipment works, microphones are picking up the right sound and all sound gear is out of camera range. Location sound engineers must be organized and thorough in their preparations. Their goal is to get the sound right on the first try to take the pressure off of post-production sound engineers. Location sound engineers who work on live sets such as news productions, sporting events or awards shows face extra pressure as sound problems can be difficult to fix on the fly.

Other television jobs: boom operator, sound editor, music supervisor

As you can see from the variety of positions mentioned above, the audio production industry is extremely versatile and holds many opportunities for motivated individuals. Start preparing for these exciting career possibilities – enroll in an audio production training program today.

Information in this article was provided by the International Academy of Design & Technology – Nashville. Contact IADT – Nashville today if you’re interested in developing marketable knowledge and career-relevant skills with an industry-current degree program. (IADT – Nashville does not guarantee employment or salary.)

Courtesy of ARAcontent

Column: Plenty to watch this weekend

Track is an event in which there are many different events and athletes to follow. Here are a few chances to keep up with the sport this upcoming weekend: