Column: Choose festival fun wisely, concerts provide escapes

Festival season is upon us. For some this means times with friends and a much needed escape from the trials and tribulations of the day-to-day routines. For others this is a time to let loose and experiment with what the body can endure through weekends of showerless-filled camping.

One thing is for certain, where can you go to get the most bang for your buck?

For me, festivals are all about the music. Where can I go to get away from life and experience music first hand?

I am no stranger to smaller festivals such as Schwagstock or Summer Camp, but these festivals offer only the typical festival acts such as Yonder Mountain String Band and Keller Williams.

These bands are great, and I appreciate their unusual take on music and the industry itself, but I feel as though I have graduated from these settings, and my taste in music is much more vast than what they have to offer.

I have also attended Bonnaroo in 2008, which featured various acts such as Metallica, Pearl Jam and a horrible performance from none other than Kanye West.

Many of you may be just like me and are still pondering where to buy a ticket to this summer.

Bonnaroo will take place in Manchester, Tenn. on June 10-13. It has developed a great variety of artists for their 2010 line-up, featuring acts such as Jay-Z, Dave Matthews Band, Kings of Leon, LCD Soundsystem, Tenacious D and even Stevie Wonder. Bonnaroo offers the most diverse line-up, but that does not mean I have ruled any other festivals out.

Lollapalooza is a local favorite festival that is held in Chicago every summer, this year it is set for Aug. 6-8. The proximity of the festival is one that gives its initial appeal, but after a second glance at the artists playing this year’s festival gives me doubts as to who is the driving force for me to see. A partial look at the line-up shows Lady Gaga, Green Day, Soundgarden, Arcade Fire and MGMT.

I will be the first to tell you that I am not Lady Gaga’s biggest fan, not even close. But I will also be the first to tell you that I am interested in showmanship as well as music when I am watching a performance. Needless to say, I’m sure Gaga’s performance will be a showstopper.

Showstoppers and legendary performances swirl around possibly the most coveted festival to attend, Coachella.

Year after year, Coachella attracts the biggest names in music and some of the best weather that can be had at a festival.

The festival takes place in California, which can be pricy for a plane ticket alone, but is it worth the money after paying $269 for a weekend ticket.

Coachella features bands such as Jay-Z, Them Crooked Vultures, Vampire Weekend, De La Soul, Infected Mushroom, Tiesto and possibly Thom Yorke.

Coachella is everything a festival should be. They have great camping, great Cali weather and a line-up that other festivals always envy. Coachella is the festival for me.

I will be saving my money all summer to buy a plane ticket and a concert ticket and use this as my escape from Earth.

Wait.

What’s that you say?

Coachella begins tonight?

I guess it’s back to the drawing board.

Column: Choose festival fun wisely, concerts provide escapes

If you missed the Drake concert, you can relive the experience by watching this slideshow.