Pitching rotation being shaken up

The Panthers (6-20, 2-4 Ohio Valley Conference) are gearing up to play Illinois College (9-5) at 3 p.m. Tuesday at Coaches Stadium.

Head coach Jim Schmitz wants to explore his pitching options during this week’s games.

“Really, we’re trying to find a couple guys in the Illinois College and Chicago State games,” Schmitz said.

Schmitz said junior relief pitcher Mike Martin (0-3, 11.25 ERA) will start against Chicago State and see how he does in a long game situation.

“When a pitcher only works a couple innings and doesn’t throw much, it is hard to get sharp,” Schmitz said. “We’ve got to get up to seven pitchers sharp, and we are in the five range.”

Schmitz said seven solid pitchers are needed to be successful in these weekend series.

Also, the coach is switching closers.

Junior pitcher Dillon Roark (1-1, 8.27 ERA) was two for two in save situations Friday. He pitched 1 2/3 innings, giving up zero runs and having one walk and strikeout. The one run scored in the second game was charged to sophomore starter Mike Hoekstra (2-1, 3.81 ERA)

“It’s been a closer in progress and closer by committee,” Schmitz said. “We’ve changed it and (junior pitcher) Rich Ruff didn’t work out. But Dillon doesn’t seem to be too upset out there. He is very calm and that is one of the keys to being a closer.”

Schmitz said Matt Miller does not do well against lefties. Tom Kimbro-who pitched one inning this season-might be the one to get lefties out and Miller righties out. Kimbro might be the next set-up man.

“Maybe that is something that will give us some consistency, but right now, we are keep moving things in and out and that makes it hard on the players,” he said. “We will take the blame for them not playing well because their roles are not well defined.”

Junior pitcher Matt Miller (0-6, 5.64 ERA) was not able to close out game one Friday against Austin Peay. On Saturday, Miller gave up four runs in 2/3 of an inning.

Fielding continues inconsistency

This weekend saw some great plays by the Panthers but also some mistakes.

Eastern is eighth out of 10 teams the OVC in team fielding percentage (.954) with 45 errors, five from this weekend.

The top play was in the final inning of game two Friday when Governors’ senior centerfielder Jared DeLong had an RBI single to Eastern freshman centerfielder Daniel Rowe. Rowe threw to sophomore catcher Gerik Wallsten to mow down senior pinch runner Chris Lewellyn at the plate for the 4-3 win.

“It was so exciting,” sophomore leftfielder Ben Thoma said. “Everyone was quiet and all of a sudden, everyone blew up.”

Sophomore third baseman Zach Borenstein made a solid play in the sixth inning of game one. Runners were on the corners for Austin Peay when DeLong had a hit.

Governor third baseman Shayne Martin slide to home but Borenstein got the grounder and threw Martin out.

“We were on our safety squeeze defense; basically, I’m playing up and waiting for the bunt,” Borenstein said. “A lefty was up so I knew it was coming down the third base line. The runner was even with me, he put down a great bunt, but I broke in when it was hit and Gerik made a great tag.”

However, Borenstein said he lost his footing in the ninth inning of game two as he had a throwing error to first base to blowing a chance at the last out.

Bob Bajek can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected].

Pitching rotation being shaken up

Pitching rotation being shaken up

Junior shortstop Cam Strang throws the ball to first base Friday afternoon during the weekend series against Austin Peay at Coaches Stadium. Strang had two hits and one RBI.(Audrey Sawyer/The Daily Eastern News)