Battlefield set in Cape Girardeau

Last season, Southeast Missouri swept the Eastern softball team in the two teams’ season series, with the Panthers largest loss in the series coming at home.

Today, the Panthers look to prove to the Redhawks that they aren’t the same team that lost three games to them last season as they will travel to Cape Girardeau, Mo. to play a doubleheader beginning at 4 p.m.

Of the three games the Panthers and Redhawks played against each other last season, the Panthers biggest embarrassment was in front of a home crowd, losing 11-3 at Williams Field.

“It was kind of ugly last year,” junior pitcher Amber May said. “With the way we are playing now, we want to show them that we’re not the team we were last year.”

Coming off a three-win effort this weekend, May will be rested and ready to pitch the first of two today.

“The day off on Monday helped me,” May said. “I threw a little bit (Tuesday) and got loose. I felt pretty good.”

Eastern head coach Kim Schuette said her team will not lack motivation when they arrive at SEMO today because the Redhawks have always been a big rival. Despite SEMO being 10-16 coming into today’s game, Schuette expects the Redhawks to fight in a war-like environment against Eastern.

“You get off the bus and you are ready to go to battle,” Schuette said.

Eastern’s outfielders have been making big plays at their positions, which will benefit the Panthers against SEMO, who has a free-swinging lineup.

Numerous times this weekend, Schuette said the outfield made big, unlikely plays.

“They’re doing the upper level stuff right now, which I’m really pleased with,” she said.

Schuette said the outfield’s success is due to outfield coach Al Schuette’s guidance.

“Coach Al Schuette has done a nice job of taking the outfield to the next level,” she said.

The outfielder’s competitive spirit has picked up this season, according to Schuette. She thinks it’s a good thing.

“Most of all, they are having fun out there,” Schuette said. “Al gives them a score 1-10 after each game, so they’re competitive because he doesn’t give out as many nines or 10s.”

Sophomore right fielder Jen Saucier has filled in nicely for designated player Denee’ Menzione, Schuette said. She said Saucier is the Panthers’ ultimate utility player but right now she has shined in right field.

“All of sudden, we threw her out there in some practices and then, voila, she’s playing in a game,” she said.

The key in today’s doubleheader, Schuette said, will be controlling the Redhawks’ free-swinging offense.

“They don’t run much and their pitching is average, so we want to keep their free swingers off the bases,” Schuette said.

The doubleheader’s opener is slated to begin at 4 p.m.

Alex McNamee can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected].

Battlefield set in Cape Girardeau

Battlefield set in Cape Girardeau

Freshman outfielder Melise Brown gets congratulated by her teammates after getting the game-winning hit against Indiana-Purdue-Indianapolis Wednesday afternoon at Williams Field.(Amir Prellberg/The Daily Eastern News)