Student Government asks for increase in funding

Members of the student government introduced the 2010-2011 budget, requesting a funding increase of nearly 16 percent.

Though the projected budget of $53,431 has cuts in eight line items as proposed by the student government executive board, it increased $7,339 from this year’s budget of $46,092.

Four line items have increased, including an allocation to the student payroll to hire a Web master for the student government Web site. Together with the $600 used to pay the student senate secretary for two semesters, this doubles the student payroll line item to $1,200.

The budget also reflects more funds allocated to the Student Action Team. A total of $2,535 was budgeted for a bus to transport lobbyists to Springfield, and the First Night celebration.

There was an additional increase in the budget request of $4,965 for non-employee travel, including student lodging, meals and van rental, as opposed to $2,980 set aside for fiscal year 2010.

Student Body President Michelle Murphy said this line item increased in the effort to budget for the Conference on Student Government Associations held annually in February.

Last year, money was not set aside for the trip, but Murphy said Eastern was able to send three delegates because the executive board found extra funds in the budget.

The projected budget requests $3,025 for the trip.

The final area of increase is in scholarships and awards under tuition waivers for members of the executive board.

This year, $30,000 has been requested to cover the fall and spring semesters for all of the executive members as the total tuition amount has increased to around $15,000 as opposed to $13,530.

As Eastern faces financial difficulties in the absence of adequate state funding, James Ochwa-Echel, an apportionment board member, questioned the justification of the potential budget increase.

Murphy said that during the process of examining and trimming areas of the budget, she saw fit to assume that donations to student government, designated as “gifts” in the budget, would not be as extensive as those given this year since the university is experiencing funding troubles.

This year’s budget reflects $3,500 in donations, but Murphy planned for $1,500 in donations next year so as not to overestimate the income.

“I trimmed as much as I could,” Murphy said. “The amount of the increase is so small. We’re not asking for luxuries. If we were not interested in making improvements to student government, this would be easier, but in order to keep up with the times and keep our status, we have to keep up with the money and not cut things that could weaken our organization.”

In addition to considering the student government budget, the apportionment board presented its own budget request of $23,950.

This amount is down $355 from last year’s allocation.

The board is given a certain amount of money for distribution to four groups, including itself, student government, sports and recreation and the University Board.

The board will find out the amount of money it must divide between the groups on March 25, when it will examine each projected budget and allocate funds accordingly.

On Thursday, the board will consider the remaining two budgets and reconvene after Spring Break to allocate the funds.

Erica Whelan can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected].

Student+Government+asks+for+increase+in+funding+

The American and Illinois flags are flown at half mast outside of Old Main amist the afternoon sky on Wednesday. (Karolina Strack/The Daily Eastern News)