Eastern’s residents to the rescue

Hosting the Illinois Residence Hall Association conference is a major accomplishment, and members of Eastern’s RHA have been diligently preparing to place their bid for the event.

Eastern’s RHA has placed bids in the past to host the conference, but has fallen short of winning.

Members of RHA created a separate committee in August to create a bid that could possibly earn them the top spot among other schools for the 2011 conference.

This year’s conference will begin today at North Central College in Naperville, Ill.

“The conference is a great way for people to learn from each other while making new friends from all over the state,” said Julia Novotny, the committee’s co-chair. “It’s a learning experience based on fun.”

The IRHA conference is held every year with residence hall association students representing more than a dozen schools across the state. Each year there is a different theme and sessions are held with topics geared toward improving residence halls and life on campus.

“Students by Day, Leaders by Night: Unleash the Leader Within” was the superhero-based theme chosen for Eastern’s bid.

The bid is 30 pages and includes a brief history of Eastern, along with housing, dining and entertainment ideas for hosting the 2011 IRHA conference on Eastern’s campus.

Jake Nees is another co-chair for the committee and will be leaving today along with other members of Eastern’s delegation.

“It will be a great opportunity for residents on campus to gain leadership and community service hours,” Nees said.

Nicole Mangiaracina can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected]

Eastern’s residents to the rescue

Easterns residents to the rescue

RHA President Karla Browning puts up sheets of paper with RHA NCC/ICC Julia Novotny Thursday evening in Lawson hall. (Amri Prellberg/The Daily Eastern News)