Kids and Friends Weekend a barrel o’ fun

Among board games, an obstacle course, Rock Band, the movie “Planet 51” and bingo, children who attended Kids and Friends Weekend were also able to see magician and escape artist Dan Martin as the main attraction Saturday.

Martin performed such stunts as beating the world record for coming out of a straightjacket, making a $5 bill disappear and reappear inside of a balloon and solving a Rubik’s Cube inside his mouth.

He performed the stunt in 57 seconds.

Martin also did a trick for the younger audience members where he switched the places of peanut butter and jelly on a table to the song “Peanut Butter Jelly Time” from the television show “Family Guy.”

Amanda Wood, a junior English major, attended the show with her family.

Lila Wood, her little sister, along with Cadence and Jared Summers, her younger cousins, really liked the show.

Justin Schuch, a college of student affairs graduate student, was impressed and still kind of dumbfounded how Martin tore up his $5 bill inside of an envelope and then made the money reappear inside a black balloon.

“I thought the show was great and it is nice to have something different,” Schuch said.

Amanda Woods said her family was excited to come and see her college ever since they found out about the Kids and Friends Weekend a few weeks ago.

Woods was also on the committee that put the weekend together.

“I was actually really surprised at the turnout,” Woods said.

She said kids also enjoyed having their pictures taken earlier in the day.

“There were pictures in the Triad and the Stevenson LSD complex,” Woods said. “We had kids ranging from five or six to about 18 years old with about 10 kids.”

Temetria Hargett, resident director for Lawson Hall, said more kids and their families came out than expected.

Heather Holm can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected]

Kids and Friends Weekend a barrel o fun

Members of the Residents Hall Association hide in the basement of Andrews Hall while playing a game of sardines Saturday during Kids and Friends Weekend. Sardines is played by one person hiding and the other players finding and hiding with them leading t