Open mic brings poems, comedy to life

Personal experience inspired contestants at Wednesday’s Open Mic Night.

Zach Weislo, a junior music education major, played a song titled “Mr. Nice is Done” which is about one of his break-ups, and about how he is sick of sleepless nights and petty fights.

He came to Open Mic Night because he wishes to become famous one day and said he is trying to get his name out at Eastern.

Weislo has been playing guitar for two and a half years, and writing songs for a year and a half.

He won second place at the Open Mic Night contest, winning a $25 gift certificate to Wal-Mart.

Marcus May, another contestant, read a poem called “I Have Nothing to Say” which is about things such as how he holds his tongue when he sees an ugly baby or hears someone who cannot sing.

Leeantwann McCline, a graduate student in student affairs, came out to relieve stress by performing comedy.

He said he gets his inspiration from life experiences and close friends.

McCline started performing in 2005, and has performed at House of Blues in Chicago and a show in Las Vegas called “Who Got Jokes?” in the past.

The band Somatic won the first place prize, a $75 gift certificate to Guitar Center.

Somatic played two songs, “Golden Brown” and “Cut Me Out.”

“People inspire our music, such as friends and loved ones,” said Nick Parker, a junior elementary education major and member of Somatic. “I’ve been involved with music since I was 14 years old.”

Parker played guitar and sang, while Matt Williams, a senior history major, played guitar, and Ryan Stack, a senior music education major, played drums.

Williams has played since eighth-grade and Stack since freshman year of high school.

Somatic is opening for the band Howard at 10 p.m. Friday at The Top of the Roc.

Jacob Unterberger, a sophomore, performed two raps, “Free For All” and “I’m Trying to Expand,” from an album he produced himself with original songs.

Joseph Hammond, a sophomore psychology major, also decided to rap.

He beat-boxed three songs, “I Need to See You Again”, “Died In Your Arms” and “Mr. Stink.”

“I Need to See You Again” contained the lyrics “words cannot express how much I love you” and “I have a different heartbeat when I hug you.”

“I haven’t performed in a while, so I decided to come out and see how people liked my songs,” Hammond said.

Heather Holm can be reached at 581-7942

or at [email protected]

Open mic brings poems, comedy to life

Open mic brings poems, comedy to life

Senior history major Mat Williams (left), senior music education major Ryan Stack (center) and senior elementary education major Nic Parker play an original song from their band “Somatic” at Open Mic Night at the 7th St. Underground. (Dave Parks / The Dai