Budget approved for next year

The Charleston City Council unanimously approved a city budget for the new fiscal year at its meeting Tuesday night.

The budget, which takes effect May 1, includes spending cuts at various city departments, but also funds road construction and repaving as well as an upgrade for the city’s wastewater treatment plant.

Mayor John Inyart said city officials allowed the public to view and comment on the proposed budget by putting the proposal on file in late March and by holding a public hearing before yesterday’s council meeting.

“It’s been available at the library, it’s been available at city hall.we had a public hearing before the meeting tonight,” Inyart said.

The council also approved a 7 percent increase in the city’s water and sewer rates, raising the minimum rate from $9.96 per 1,000 gallons to $10.65 per 1,000 gallons.

Council members had postponed a vote on the increase at their meeting April 7 to allow for public comment, but said they received none.

Council members also approved a measure to keep water-tap fees the same while cutting procedural costs.

The council also approved two business grants worth $15,000 from the city’s Tax Increment Finance fund.

Money in the TIF fund comes from increased property tax revenues from businesses in the downtown TIF district and is used to fund business improvements in the district.

“As with all the other TIF grants we’ve released in the past months, all of these are matching grants,” Inyart said. “All have performance contracts that specify what is to be done . and when it is to be finished.”

The grants give $5,000 to Williams Rental, 506 Sixth St., and $10,000 to the Sewing Salon, 718 Jackson Ave.

The council also approved $1,000 of tourism funds for the Illinois High School Association’s girls and boys state track meets and $1,500 for the IHSA’s girls state badminton championships held at Eastern in May.

“I’m so glad we have that,” said council member Lorelei Sims of the championships.

Council members also approved $12,500 to pay for singers Heidi Newfield and Chuck Wicks to perform at the city’s Red, White and Blue Days celebration in July.

At the meeting’s end, Sims spoke, encouraging women to participate in government.

“I was very disappointed not to see any women.in the last council election,” Sims said. “I encourage women to become involved in municipal government.”

Sims, who will be replaced by newly-elected Tim Newell, said she learned many valuable lessons from her two terms on city council.

“I would not trade my time here for anything in the world,” Sims said.

Joe Astrouski can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

Budget approved for next year

Budget approved for next year

Charleston City Council member Lorelei Sims gives a departure speech during Tuesday night’s meeting. The meeting was the last for Sims, as she decided not to run for re-election. (Erin Matheny/The Daily Eastern News)