Blue invasion takes over union

Troy Gamser has been an artist since grade school.

“Drawing (cartoon caricatures) of people is one of the skills that I possess,” said Gamser, caricature artist for the T.A.G. Art Company. “I have a love for learning. I think every artist is a perfectionist, and I want to keep raising the bar.”

Gamser drew caricatures as part of University Board’s Up All Nite event on Wednesday night in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Cherrell Brown, a sophomore family and consumer science major, liked the picture Gamser did for her.

“I thought it was very good,” she said.

Along with the caricature artist, UB had the company Ultra Sound come, bringing with them the boxing rings, the inflatable basketball court and the Wheaties boxes, where students’ pictures were taken and then put in their very own Wheaties cereal box for them to keep.

“(Ultra Sound) are the life of the party,” Gamser said.

Sports and school spirit were the theme for this Up All Nite.

Pictures with Billy the Panther, who made a special appearance, were also offered.

“There’s been quite a few here already,” said Jillian Staley, graduate assistant in the Student Life Office. “I’ve taken about 20 photos and it has only been about five minutes.”

Bouncy boxing was another activity that was offered at the event.

“I’m really, really tired, and the gloves are really heavy,” Brittany Marzullo, a sophomore fashion major said. “It is a good ab workout and a lot of fun, though.”

The Wheaties boxes were located right next to the bouncy boxing ring in the Grand Ballroom of the union.

“After talking with Otis (Seawood) and knowing the event was sports related, we thought it was a nice keepsake people could keep forever,” said Kevin Krousop of Ultra Sound Special Events, Inc.

Seawood is the UB special events coordinator and planned the Up All Nite event.

Melissa Mulrooney, a senior business management major, took pictures with her friends to put on a Wheaties box.

“We like the ones we took,” Mulrooney said. “We did a ‘Charlie’s Angels’ pose.”

Sable Harp, a senior history major, thought a lot of the pictures were comical.

A prize wheel was also spun throughout the Up All Nite at each half-hour.

“The people will spin the wheel and have to do an end zone dance, for example, and they will win a prize,” said Michael Carey, marketing/design coordinator for UB.

A Bulls package was one of the prizes along with CDs, movies and other sports-related prizes. The Bulls package offered a Ben Gordon signed T-shirt and basketball, and main level tickets to a Bulls game.

Ceci Brinker, director of Student Life, thought the turnout was good with the weather being so bad.

“It was a better way to be indoors and with friends,” Brinker said. “What better way to be indoors and with friends . I think the Wheaties boxes were a big hit.”

With it being on a Wednesday night, Mike Usher, UB Chair, also thought it went well.

Matt Caponera, comedy coordinator for UB, thought the caricature artist was most popular.

“Also, Billy the Panther beat someone up in the bouncy box ring already, so that was fun,” he said.

A bungee run course was originally planned to be a part of the Up All Nite event.

Seawood said the course was no longer a feasible option for UB.

He said the event went OK.

Heather Holm can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected].

Blue invasion takes over union

Blue invasion takes over union

After waiting in line LaTaijia Jackson, a freshman undecided major, sits as a caricature artist draws her portrait on Wednesday night as part of the Up All Nite activities in the Martin Luther King Jr. student union. Up All Nite is scheduled until 11 p.m.

Blue invasion takes over union

Blue invasion takes over union

Andy Masters, a junior philosophy major, attempts to get up as his friend Paul Staff, a junior finance major, prepares to take another swing at him in the bouncy boxing ring in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union on Wednesday