Senate tables University Board allocations

University Board presented five allocations at the Student Senate meeting last night.

All the allocations have been passed through Apportionment Board unanimously.

UB’s Special Events asked Student Senate for $4,500 for Up All Night: Blue Invasion X-Treme Sports. This event will take place on Jan. 14.

UB’s Homecoming asked for $2, 350 because of the 2008 homecoming deficit, the 2009 homecoming spring retreat and planning for next year.

UB’s Mainstage asked for $10, 460 for “Pantherstock,” “So You Think You Can Rap” and coffeehouse performers/open mic night events.

UB’s Comedy asked for $4,500 for comedian Aries Spears to come to campus.

And UB’s Productions asked for $5,235 to help certain Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) on campus put on events by fixing or buying equipment and training a staff to work on the equipment.

“Some of the equipment is old and outdated and constantly has to be upgraded and maintained,” said Ceci Brinker, director of Student Life.

Student Senate tabled all the allocations for next week’s meeting.

Student Senate member Drew Griffin asked why wait to pass the UB’s Productions demands when Student Senate could pass it now.

“It could hit the ground running at the beginning of the next semester,” he said.

Ryan Kerch said the reason that UB is asking for all these allocations is because they got the bulk of budget cuts from AB last year.

“Apportionment Board determined the budget for fee-funded groups last year and had to cut money and University Board took most of the cuts,” Kerch said.

Eric Wilber, student executive vice president, said AB is based on flat funding, which means it has to have the same amount of money from year to year.

Another request to have the money from the Student Government Retreat with Black Student Union, Student Life Office, LASO and University Board was tabled 12-6-1 at the meeting.

The total cost for the retreat was $552 and Student Government’s portion of the cost is $110.52.

If this failed, Brinker would have to foot the bill.

“If we wait until everyone is 100 percent comfortable with everything for something like this, we would never get anything done,” said Student Body President Levi Bulgar.

Travel and accommodations for sending Bulgar and Student Senate member Bradley Saribekian to an Illinois Board of Higher Education Student Advisory Committee Conference on Saturday and Sunday at DeVry University in Tinley Park passed at the meeting. It was voted on as emergency legislature. The total cost was for $454 for lodging and travel costs.

A line item transfer for $300 from Student Government payroll to copy services was tabled at the meeting as well. This also passed through AB unanimously.

A resolution for a Continuing Education Fee passed along with one to have the findings of the University Development and Recycling Committees Fire Extinguisher and Safety Walk released passed as well.

The additional allocation for staff payroll for Laurel Fuqua at the amount of $2,671 along with a University Board marketing request for $3,000 passed at Student Senate last night. These were tabled from last week and passed through AB already.

Also at the meeting, Carolyn Dundon, a graduate assistant for the CATS department, gave a presentation on Turning Point.

Heather Holm can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected].

Senate tables University Board allocations

Carolyn Dundo, a Center for Academic Technology Support graduate assistant, gave a presentation on the Turning Point system to the Student Senate during their meeting on Wednesday night in the Arcola/Tuscola Room of the Martin Luther King Jr. University U