Perry picks student representative for search

Eastern President Bill Perry selected Tiffany Turner, student vice president for business affairs, as the student representative for the Vice President for Business Affairs Search Committee.

Turner was announced for the job during Wednesday’s Student Senate meeting.

The search committee will look for candidates for a new vice president for business affairs since Jeff Cooley, current vice president for business affairs, is retiring in December.

The committee will meet on Monday, where Turner and other faculty will discuss a packet for the layout of what good qualifications are to be vice president of business affairs.

Student Body President Levi Bulgar picked three students from Student Government who he thought qualified to be on the search committee and Perry chose among them.

The three other students were Student Executive Vice President Eric Wilber, Apportionment Board Secretary Sarah Shaw and Academic Affairs Chair Chris Kromphardt. Wilber is the student representative for Charleston’s City Council and works for Chapin Rose, R–Mahomet, and Kromphardt is a member of the EIU Democrats.

“I have not served on a committee like this before, but I am the vice president of business affairs in Student Senate so I think it is a good transition to the student representative of the Search Committee,” Turner said.

Stephen Dalechek was also approved as the Enrollment Management Advisory Committee, and one more person is needed for the Committee of Reinstatement.

The Committee of Reinstatement deals with letting people back into Eastern who were previously kicked out.

“It is the committee’s (Enrollment Management Advisory Committee) job to figure out ways to keep enrollment at around 12,000 students, since that is what President Perry wants it at,” Wilber said.

Wilber also announced that the Illinois Board of Higher Education Student Advisory Committee, which advises the IBHE on any issue that may affect schools such as budgets or major changes, is looking for Student Senate representatives.

Wilber is the voting delegate and Bulgar is the Chair of Public Sections. The board has three sections – public, private and community colleges. The advisory committee will meet with the Illinois board on Oct. 4 and 5.

Bulgar also announced that nine applications have come in for Student Supreme Court and three students have been chosen already, but will not be announced yet.

Heather Holm can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected].

Perry picks student representative for search

Vice President for Business Affairs Tiffany Turner, right, laughs as Vice President for Student Affairs Ryan Kerch, left, receives a high five from Executive Vice President Eric Wilber at Wednesday night’s Student Government meeting. (Erin Matheny/The Dai