Rock the Vote hopes to get students active this election

It should not be hard to notice students with “I am registered to vote, are you?” stickers affixed to their shirts.

Students who register at Rock the Vote from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. today in the Library Quad will receive a sticker with the slogan.

There will be additional booths in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union and Coleman Hall.

The booth in Coleman will be located in the northeast corner from 11 a.m.-1 p.m.

Eric Wilber, student executive vice president, hopes to get at least 150 or 200 people registered to vote. He said so far 225 people have registered to vote through Student Government and Student Action Team.

The Student Action Team will be in charge of the event with additional help from other members of Student Government, freshmen from EIU Foundation classes and the College Democrats.

There will be two different forms that students can sign up to register to vote with.

A yellow form which official deputy registrars from Student Action Team will fill out for students and a white form, which students can actually fill out for themselves.

“The students will need their student identification and campus address to give to the registrars if they decide to have them fill out the first form for them,” Wilber said. “They would actually have to bring their IDs when they go to the polls in November if they filled out the second form.”

The next event Student Action Team is sponsoring will be on Oct. 6 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.

“It will basically be the same thing as Rock the Vote and students can also pick up registration forms in the Student Government office and drop them off in a drop box at the front desk,” Wilber said.

The Student Government office is located on the second floor of the union across the hall from Copy Express.

Heather Holm can he reached at 581-7942 or [email protected].

Rock the Vote hopes to get students active this election

The Eastern women’s rugby team pulled out a victory against Iowa State on Saturday in its first home game of the season. The Panthers, who never trailed in the game, were able to hold off the Cyclones for a 26-21 win.