Coleman Hall becomes Halloween Hall

Morgan+Brown%2C+a+freshman+English+education+major%2C+and+Cara+Soucie%2C+a+freshman+family+and+consumer+sciences+major%2C+color+Halloween+themed+coloring+pages.+

Mercury Bowen

Morgan Brown, a freshman English education major, and Cara Soucie, a freshman family and consumer sciences major, color Halloween themed coloring pages.

Angelica Cataldo, Entertainment Reporter

English Club haunted the third floor of Coleman Hall Tuesday night in anticipation for Halloween.

About 100 people showed up to Coleman Hall for movies, Monster Mad Libs, Halloween bingo, Halloween crafts, trick-or-treat snacks and tarot card readings.

The movies shown were Mel Brooks’ “Young Frankenstein” and Tim Burton’s “Nightmare Before Christmas.”

The bingo game had a spooky theme revolving around horror literature.

There was also a room with bowls filled with various candies that were free for attendees.

A long line formed against the wall outside a classroom where Angela Vietto, English professor and English Club adviser, was reading tarot cards.

Some people even came in dressed in costumes.

Christy Vasilopoulos, a junior English major, was dressed in a Batman onesie and floated from room to room, helping with various activities.

“It went really well,” Vasilopoulos, a member of the English Club, said. “At the beginning of the year we talked about how it would be fun to do a haunted house or something like that, and then we finally just said ‘let’s make it happen.’”

“We hit a strike of luck this semester,” English Club President Brandon Berglund said. “So many new members joined and things just fell into place.”

Berglund said the English Club has been in and out of an active registered student organization status, but this semester many new freshmen and transfer students have joined to kept the club officially active.

English Club Secretary Autumn Frykholm said one of the newer members was the person who suggested the Halloween-themed hallway.

“We had an amazing turnout,” Frykholm said. “We had way more people come than we thought we were going to have.”

The English Club has a few more events planned for the rest of the semester. One is a poetry slam contest on Tuesday, Nov. 1 in the Lumpkin Hall Auditorium.

Angelica Cataldo can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].