Political groups look toward election

Jordan Boyer, Contributing Writer

Leaders of political groups on campus are looking toward to the upcoming presidential election.

Student Body President, Catie Witt, said that she sees students are getting involved in the election.

“I used to not think students were involved enough in the election, but this presidential election has really proved me wrong,” she said. “I think a lot of students are taking this seriously because they are realizing this is going to affect us all.”

Witt and the president of another political group on campus, Kathryne Arnold, president of the Political Science Association, are looking forward to the upcoming presidential campaign.

Arnold said she wants to hear more from the candidates on international issues.

“Foreign policies is a big one we need to focus on,” Arnold said. “I hope both candidates really get into the nuts and bolts of it and explain what exactly their plan is.”

Student Body President Catie Witt agreed with Arnold when it comes to international issues.

“I would love to hear more about the TPP just because that’s a big deal with foreign affairs,” Witt said.

The Trans- Pacific Partnership is a trade deal among 12 countries, including the United States.

“When it comes to foreign affairs, the TPP is a big issue,” Witt said.

Arnold said there are many issues that need to be addressed during the course of the election.

These include the economy, jobs, and racial tensions right now, Arnold said.

“I would love to hear more about like immigration and citizenship because it’s obviously a huge topic, especially here in Illinois,” Witt said. “I think Illinois is one of the top five states immigrants go to.”

Jordan Boyer can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].