Column: College does not have to be four years

Nicole Kink, Staff Reporter

Coming back to Eastern is always something I continuously look forward to. Summer break always seemed to feel too long to me. Many times I found myself counting down the days until I could finally be reunited with my roommates and friends.

However, moving into EIU this fall felt different than the years I have previously attended. I have gone to Eastern for the past four years, but my usual excitement and eagerness to come back to Charleston was lacking this time around.

As the days before move-in grew closer, I found myself feeling embarrassed and ashamed about starting school. I was generally excited about finishing my degree, but I was humiliated to be returning to Eastern for another semester.

I knew I was going to arrive on campus and be faced with several different scenarios. People were going to joke with me that I am “back again for a victory lap” and after we would both awkwardly chuckle. Maybe someone would ask me if I am a graduate student, and then I would awkwardly admit that I am still completing my undergraduate degree.

I was so terrified of what everyone would think of me, but why was I weighing on their opinions so heavily?

There is always a stigma associated with the idea of finishing college in five years (or in some cases four and a half). People assume that fifth year students must have failed at some point, since for most undergraduate degrees it should take only four years to receive a diploma.

However, times are changing. A prolonged college experience is starting to become more the norm, but that does not mean that fifth (or more) year students have failed.

Students decide to delay their graduation date for a number of reasons. Some change their major, pick up an extra endorsement or delay graduation due to finances.

A few days ago my roommate left a post on my timeline that read, “delayed graduation in college is never shameful. College is not a race to see who finishes first. What is important is you didn’t give up in your quest for that diploma. No one is too old to attain his dream. You just need to keep going and defy the odds.”

This quote changed my attitude towards my final semester at Eastern. Although it has taken me a little longer, I am proud of all the accomplishments I have made here thus far.

Most importantly, I am only a couple months away from graduating with a degree in the field of my dreams. I am positive this last semester will allow me even more room to grow and develop.

Soon I will be able to say “I did it.” It might have taken me a while to come to terms with my situation, but I would not want it any other way.

Like the quote explained, the only person I am in competition with is myself.

I am a fifth year—and that’s okay.

Nicole Kink is a senior English language arts major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].