First comedy event of the semester set for Friday

1

7

Janet Pernell, Multicultural Reporter

The first comedy act of the semester is set for 7 p.m. Friday.

Ester Steinberg will be featured  in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union. Comedy shows, which are hosted by the University Board once a month, will be free and open to the public.

According to the comedian’s website, Steinberg went to high school in Tampa, Fla., where she started her comedy acts during her lunch breaks on the tables.

Steinberg went to New York University’s Tisch School of Arts to prepare for a future as a comedian.

The comedian has been featured and starred on television networks like Oxygen for the show “Funny Girls.”

She is currently working on a production called “Smoking Whitefish,” a dark comedy to be featured on ABC.

Her “Kibitz Room Comedy Show,” which gained popularity at Canter’s Deli in Los Angeles, Cal., was featured on the blog Time Out LA. Also, the 2015 “Just for Laughs” festival in Montreal included Steinberg in a list of new faces to comedy.

Popcorn, popcorn chicken, beverages and prizes will be available during the show.

Nia Douglas, the comedy coordinator for the UB, said the board likes to keep things diverse so that they can attract all types of people and students on campus.

“Let’s bring a woman, they’re funny too,” Douglas said

The show is meant to help students socialize and have a positive college experience, Douglas said.

“A lot of our freshman that have come are not very social,” Douglas said. “In order to have a great college experience, they need to actually go out there and enjoy themselves and meet new people.”

Douglas said her goals for the show are to give people an idea on who the UB is as well as help students socialize and bond over the comedy and free food.

“What’s a better way than sitting next to someone and laughing about a joke,” Douglas said. “Funny things bring people together all the time.”

Janet Pernell can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]