Walking and talking about the impact of sexual violence

Asia Hall, Staff Reporter

Community members seeking an opportunity to promote awareness for those impacted by sexual violence can do so at this year’s “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes.”

The third annual walk-a-thon will be at 1 p.m. Sunday in Morton Park and is hosted by Sexual Assault Counseling and Information Service.

“Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” is an event that’s purpose is to promote awareness and empathy for people who have been impacted by sexual violence.

General admission for the community is $20 to participate and the student fee is $10.

The proceeds help support all the programs at SACIS.

Donna Turner Hudson, an adult counselor for SACIS, said the agency has been affected tremendously for 10 months without funds and because of budget cuts.

“It really affected us,” Turner Hudson said. “We depend on community funds to help fund community prevention, legal and medical advocacy and counseling.”

The event is called “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” because more women than men have been victims of sexual violence, Turner Hudson said, though there is empathy for men as well.

“We want people to understand the women’s point of view,” Turner Hudson said. “SACIS is opposed to violence and oppression against anyone. It’s a part of our mission to eradicate it by raising awareness.”

Turner Hudson said sexual assault is not always an easy topic to discuss and the SACIS event will help people better understand it.

Amanda Krause, an intern from SACIS, will be cheering people on at the walk-a-thon, as well as assisting participants and helping set up for the event.

“Until you walk a mile in someone’s shoes you can’t judge their experiences and who they are,” Krause said. “Everyone has a story that needs to be heard. SACIS helps cease the stereotypes of blaming the victim for sexual violence.”

Krause said no matter who a person is or where they come from, everyone is welcome.

She said the walk-a-thon helps release the stigma about men being affected by sexual violence and it puts an end to stereotypes.

Turner Hudson said the walk-a-thon gives SACIS a chance to be involved with the community and have fun as well as educate people.

Participants can come in heels or decorated shoes and have a good time, Turner Hudson said.

She said SACIS would like to thank all the student organizations that have participated in their events so far.

“I would like to extend a thank you to the women of The National Association of Colored Women’s Clubs for also helping out,” Turner Hudson said. “Without the students and the community SACIS would be nothing.”

Asia Hall can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]