Unity Stroll brings Greeks together

Mackenzie Freund

Greeks goin’ up on a Thursday while dancing during the Greek Week Unity Stroll event in front of Doudna Steps.

T'Nerra Butler, Multicultural Editor

Tables turned and roles were somewhat switched when the PanHellenic Council, Interfraternity Council chapters did some of the traditional steps from the chapters of the National Pan-Hellenic Council.

Greeks were found dancing and singing throughout the Booth Library Quad near the Doudna Fine Arts steps for the Unity Stroll.

While NPHC chapters executed some of their traditional strolls, PHC and IFC danced to their own beats.

Only three chapters from the NPHC were able to participate this year and that included Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity.  The first team included Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity, Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority, Alpha Sigma Alpha, Sorority, Delta Tau Delta Fraternity, Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity, Alpha Sigma Tau Sorority, Alpha Phi Sorority, Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity, Kappa Delta Sorority, Delta Zeta Sorority and Delta Chi Fraternity.

The women of Sigma Gamma Rho took on the extra chapters and combined teams

Team two consisted of Sigma Nu Fraternity, Sigma Kappa Sorority, and Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity and was coached by members of Zeta Phi Beta.

The third team was led by Omega Psi Phi and consisted of Sigma Pi Fraternity, Delta Delta Delta Sorority, Phi Kappa Theta Fraternity and Alpha Gamma Delta Sorority.

Madison Endsley, a sophomore communications major, is a member of Delta Zeta Sorority and said the Unity Stroll brought all the Greek Houses together. She said both Airband and the stroll incorporate dancing with goals of bringing overall harmony.

The first team danced to songs like Migo’s “Dab,” and “Drip From My Walk,” by Famous Dex.

Rihanna’s “Work” followed by Fetty Wap’s “Jimmy Choo,” sounded when team two hit the cement.  The women of Zeta Phi Beta stood on both sides and other Greeks in the middle as they performed.

The third team stood in a line as the Omega Psi Phi’s known song “Atomic Dog” by George Clinton boomed through the speakers. The Omega men did their trademark headshake and hops while the song went on.

Christopher Dorsey, a junior applied engineering major, was a coach representing Omega Psi Phi and said the campus is heavily separated.

“This brings a good dose of diversity,” Dorsey said. “Diversity is something that we can carry over to the workforce and it teaches us on how to deal with different groups of people.”

JaLisa Smith, a senior psychology major, was a coach representing Sigma Gamma Rho and said she has been participating in the Unity Stroll for a couple of years and said she loved her team.

Smith said the day let the other fraternities and sororities in on how hard the chapters of NPHC work.

“It can be hard for someone to understand all the things that we go through,” Smith said. “They love it, I love it. It’s unity.”

Smith said she took on three teams in one because of it only being three NPHC chapters participating.

The Greeks who came to practice always were enthusiastic and ready to learn their routines, Dorsey said. He said now that the event is over with; he has gained new connections and even friends.

“I’ve build like 18 relationships and that’s something I probably would have never did without this event,” Dorsey said.

Fellow members of each Greek cheered loudly for those stepping.

“One event is not going to bring everyone together, but it’s a start,” Ruane said. “Inviting everyone to more events could to slowly bridge that gap.”

T’Nerra Butler can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]