Organizations band together to raise money for breast cancer

Tori Griffith, Staff Reporter

Students who want to play basketball and double Dutch to raise money for breast cancer awareness can participate in “Ballin for Boobies” hosted by Eastern’s National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and the National Association of Colored Women’s Club.

This is the third annual “Ballin’ for Boobies” event, and it will be at 5 p.m. Wednesday in the McAfee Gym.

Khirsten Miller, a member of the NACWC, said they are a group of women on campus catering to the African-American culture.

Miller said this event is important to them because they want people to be aware of breast cancer, while still having fun and participating in the event.

Moniesha Curry, the president of Eastern’s NAACP, said “Ballin’ for Boobies” is a breast cancer awareness event where students gather together and participate in a dunk contest, a three-point contest or a basketball game.

Since the event is being hosted by two different organizations, Eastern’s NAACP and the NACWC will be hosting different activities during the event.

Some of the other activities that will be included in this event are a double-dutch contest and a candy sale.

The members of Eastern’s NAACP will be hosting the three-point shootout and the dunk contest, Curry said.

The ladies of the NACWC will be hosting the double dutch contest.

“We are catering to the men and the women here on campus, most men like basketball and most women like jumping rope,” Miller said.

Curry said Eastern’s NAACP partnered with the NACWC, because it is an all-women’s organization and breast cancer often affects women.

“Women are the root of most if not all households, so if you lose the woman, you have lost a strong foundation. It is also important, because we are able to give back to the community, and it also brings unity to the student body,” Curry said.

The double-Dutch contest is free, and it also gives many of the women something to do if they are not able to play basketball.

“We are all about women empowerment and the general support of women; therefore, NAACP felt as though NACWC would be a good partner to collaborate with for this type of event” Miller said.

Curry said there will be no specific information being passed out or spoken about breast cancer, but this event is more about having fun and supporting the cause.

“This event is to have fun while supporting a cause that affects nearly thousands of women,” Curry stated.

All proceeds of this event will go to Sarah Bush Lincoln Research Center and admission is $2.

Torri Griffith can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]