Bing Futch to play benefit concert at Lincoln Log Cabin

Luis Martinez, Entertainment Editor

0922_BINGFUTCH_SubOL

Mountain dulcimer performer and California native, Bing Futch, will return to Charleston for the second time this year by popular demand to perform at the HOPE Benefit Concert at 7 p.m. in the Lincoln Log Cabin State Historic Site, Tuesday.

Futch won the 2014 Solo Artist award in the Central Florida Blues. He was a semifinalist in the 2015 International Blues Challenge in Memphis.

Futch has also headlined events like the Florida Folk Festival, Kentucky Music Weekend, and Common Ground on the Hill.

Before his performance, Futch will be leading three music workshops. The first of the three will be a blues dulcimer workshop at 11 a.m.

Followed by a beginning and intermediate workshop at 1 p.m. and 2 p.m.

Bill Lovekamp, a member of the Sweet Songs on the Prairie dulcimer groups, said both Futch and his workshops are amazing.

“He tailors the lessons to meet the needs of his students and shares a wealth of playing techniques and musical styles for the dulcimer, Native American flute and ukulele,” Lovekamp said. “This is truly a unique opportunity to learn from one of the best.”

Gaye Harrison works on a volunteer committee that works with HOPE to help raise funds for the Coalition Against Domestic Violence.

“Each year, we do a fundraiser its called Night of Hope,” Harrison said. “Bing [Futch] was here in August, and we were talking with him and he said he had an opening and he would love to come back and do a benefit concert for the Coalition.”

Harrison said they were all thrilled to have Futch volunteer to do the benefit concert, with his busy schedule of performances.

“Bing [Futch] has an amazing repertoire that is eclectic and crowd pleasing,” Harrison said.

Tickets are $10, but seating is limited; anyone interested in purchasing tickets can get them at Jackson Avenue Coffee or by calling 217-348-5931.

Luis Martinez can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].