Degas Exhibition makes last stop at Tarble

Luis Martinez, Entertainment Editor

The “Edgar Degas: The Private Impressionist” exhibit will make its last stop on its exhibition tour at the Tarble Art Center before it heads back home.

The exhibition will include some of the well-known artist’s work, including works made after the artist’s death.

Mike Schuetz, the assistant director of the Tarble Art Center, said the former director of Tarble, Michael Watts, played a big part in bringing well-known artist exhibitions to the center.

“Back in probably 2014, the former director Mike Watts was following up with a new program with Tarble, and that was to bring larger exhibitions with more well-known name to Tarble,” Schuetz said. “In the years prior to that, he had secured some funding through the Tarble Family Foundation.”

Schuetz also said the program created with that funding became the Major Art and Artist fund, which was used to help bring artists such as Chuck Close and Ansel Adams to Tarble.

“This was one of the last shows (Watts) put together before he retired,” Schuetz said. “Generally the name Degas has a broad appeal. This particular show ‘Degas: The Private Impressionist’ comes from a private collection.”

Sally Bock, the office administrator for Tarble, said the gallery was able to receive some other funds to bring large exhibits such as Degas to Tarble.

“This all started because we received a major exhibition endowment so we can bring well-known artists to campus,” Bock said. “All of the money that we spend here, a lot of it has to be donated. We have memberships that help pay for these, help pay for staffing of students.”

Bock also said years ago, a group of donors worked to bring Degas to Eastern.

“Years ago, some of our donors got together and decided to do this major exhibition’s endowment,” Bock said. “We are able to bring well-known artists to Charleston, Illinois, so you don’t have to go to St. Louis, Chicago or Indianapolis to see a well known artist.”

Schuetz said he thinks that Degas is a relevant name, and this will be a main reason why people will come to this exhibit.

“I think it definitely has some relevance in terms of art history, so I think there will be draws for that in terms of students coming in and seeing the show,” Schuetz said. “I don’t particularly think that this show carries with it a social message or appeal, which is very common now… so in a way this is sort of like a history exhibition.”

There will also be a few events correlating with the show, including a VIP members reception and a lecture co-sponsored by the Adult Lifetime Learning program in October.

The Degas exhibition will remain in Tarble until November 1.

Luis Martinez can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]