Come write for the News

Chris Picazo, Opinions Editor

One of the best things a student can do while at college is to get involved with student organizations.

It is a chance for students to be in a new environment surrounded by other students with similar interests or goals.

What is a better organization to be involved with while at Eastern than The Daily Eastern News?

The News is the daily newspaper at Eastern, and it offers numerous opportunities for students with the different sections available to write for, and being a journalism major is not a requirement.

It may be a bit intimidating walking into the newsroom, located in Buzzard Hall, for the first time, but there is nothing to be scared of.

Everyone is extremely friendly, and the newsroom is a fun and lively place to be in.

Someone can go into the newsroom and by the time they leave, they can have an assignment.

I visited the newsroom during my first week at Eastern and by the time I left the newsroom, I had my first assignment for the sports section and a column for the opinions section.

Writing a column was something I had never done before, but I thought it would be interesting to try something new.

Writing a column is different than writing for other sections of the paper because one is able to express their opinions on issues and explain a possible solution.

The opinions section also gives people who love to draw the chance to have their drawings published.

The newspaper is always looking for students who are interested in writing for the opinion section or students who would draw for the section.

If drawing or writing opinions are not something that sounds interesting, there are still many other options at the newspaper.

A few other things available are the news, entertainment, sports and photo sections.

The news section allows students to cover things occurring around campus and Charleston.

The sports section allows students to cover all campus sports including football, basketball and baseball, and it also covers intramurals and Greek Week events.

The entertainment section, The Verge, allows students to write features, cover events around campus, and arts and entertainment, which can include writing reviews.

The photo section allows for students to take photographs for events and stories.

It is the job of The News to be the news outlet that students, faculty and staff of Eastern, residents of Charleston, and others go to by informing them of current events around campus.

If this is of interest to anyone, I encourage everyone on campus to come into the newsroom located in 1811 Buzzard Hall to be a part of this great staff.