6 Eastern baseball players make summer league all-star teams

Jehad Abbed, News Editor

Eastern’s baseball roster now includes six current summer league all-stars after the most recent announcements from the Northwoods League and the Great Lakes League.

Junior catcher Jason Scholl and sophomore pitcher Chase Thurston are the most recent Panthers to make summer league baseball all-star rosters in 2015.

The Northwoods and Great Lakes leagues both play their respective all-star games Tuesday evening. Northwoods will be played in Wisconsin Rapids and Great Lakes will be held in Mason, Ohio.

The 2011 Northwoods all-star game, also held in Wisconsin Rapids, fielded 33 ball players that went on to play professionally.

Scholl batted .290 for the Panthers this season and totaled 10 RBIs on the year in 28 games played.

Thurston recorded an Ohio Valley Conference seventh-most five saves after taking on the role as Eastern’s closing pitcher throughout his second season for the Panthers. Appearing in 25 games, Thurston ended the season with a 2-3 record on the mound posting a 4.26 ERA.

Red-shirt junior outfielder Demetre Taylor, freshman Josh Turnock, red-shirt junior pitcher Matt Wivinis and junior college transfer pitcher Mike McCormick were named to summer league all-star team rosters earlier in July.

Taylor made the roster for the Coastal Plains league, which hosts its all-star event in Florence, S.C. He boasts the fourth highest batting average in the OVC at .384.

Turnock plays in the Midwest Collegiate League that holds its game in Whiting, Ind.

Turnock made an appearance in just eight games with the Panthers his freshman year.

Wivinis and McCormick were both selected to be a part of the Prospect League all-star game in Richmond, Ind.

They were selected as reserve players on the West team after playing for the Danville Dans.

Jehad Abbed can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]