Softball team inches close to tournament berth

Mackenzie Freund

Junior Outfielder April Markowski gets tagged out sliding to second base in the game against Tennessee State Saturday at Williams Field. The Panthers went on to win the game 6-5.

Maria Baldwin, Staff Reporter

The Eastern softball team is set to play Saturday and Sunday in a conference matchup against Southeast Missouri in Cape Girardeau, Mo.

The Panthers head into the matchup with a season record of 16-22 thus far and a conference record of 11-8.

The Redhawks have a record of 12-23 so far this season and a conference record of 6-11.

Pitching for Southeast Missouri will likely be freshman Madeline Krumrey or sophomore Keaira Schilling.

Krumrey has an earned run average of 3.69 thus far in the season with a record of 8-9, while Schilling has an ERA of 6.77 with an overall record of 3-9.

Eastern coach Angie Nicholson will have freshman standout Jessica Wireman on the mound for the Panthers. Wireman has an ERA of 3.68 for the season, with an overall record of 9-10.

‘’Our focus is the same as every game–to play fundamental softball,” Nicholson said. “We need to hit consistently and be aggressive.’’

Leading the Panthers in batting averages is senior Hannah Cole, averaging .374. Following Cole’s lead is senior Bailey O’Dell with an average of .366 and junior April Markowski with an average of .351.

‘’I hope to see continued success at the plate,” Nicholson said. “Again, staying consistent and being a tough out every time at the plate.’’

Leading the Redhawks in batting average is senior Kayla Fortner with an average of .406. Following Fortner is senior Lindsey Patterson with an average of .327, and senior Alexis Anderson with an average of .312.

Last weekend, Nicholson picked up her 400th career victory as Eastern defeated Tennessee State in both games of a doubleheader, 12-0 (5 innings) and 6-5.

In game one, O’Dell, Cole and Markowski, along with Jennette Isaac lead the Panthers in batting while Wireman dominated on the mound.

In game two, Markowski and Cole, along with junior Kylie Bennett and Hannah Rachor lead the Panthers in batting. Wireman and fellow freshman Michelle Rogers shared the mound to aid in a shut out of Tennessee State.

Leading Tennessee State in batting for game one was junior Lauren Dreitlein, while freshman Amber Galyon worked the mound and threw 2.1 innings and allowed 10 runs on nine hits. Leading Tennessee State in batting for game two was junior Lindsey Burgess and sophomore Danica Gleason, while pitcher Taylor Green threw five innings and allowed six runs on six hits.

As far as this weekend’s conference matchup goes, Coach Nicholson knows Southeast Missouri will put up a fight.

‘’SEMO is going to work hard,” she said. “They have a new coach, so I am sure they are working hard for the new staff. They wanted to make the tournament since they did not last year.’’

Maria Baldwin can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]