Column: men’s fashion updates for spring, summer

Breana Calhoun, Verge Reporter

OK, men, it is time to put away your monochromatic basic styles and get your closets ready for some new spring and summer clothing for 2015.

Men’s fashion is becoming the hottest topic in the fashion industry and here at Eastern there is a lack of men supporting their fashion-forward style.

Denim

This year is the time to enter the jungle of double denim; such as light washed jeans and a jean button down to put some flavor in your style.

It is typical for men to stick to the dark wash of jeans, but this year men can bring some diversity into their wardrobe with a light wash jean.

Slim, slim/straight, straight, relaxed, relaxed/straight, classic, and standard – do the names of jeans styles ever confuse you?

Note to men: get rid of those hideously oversized baggy jeans.  Jeans should fit your size and style, but be comfortable.

Stripes

Stripes are expected to be a big hit this year.

From the stripes in your button down shirt to the stripes in the joggers you can’t seem to get enough of.

Try on your pieces of striped clothing. Stripes are one of those abstract pieces of clothes that can fit and look differently based on your body type.

Red

Go Big Red! Men be bold in your appearance because red is the color of spring 2015.

If you are going to express your own sense of fashion sometimes it is difficult to decide where to shop.

You are college men and I understand that “balling on a budget” is the motto.

Well you are in luck, some of the top places to shop with affordable prices are: 1. Zara 2. J.Crew 3. Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic 4. H&M 5. Urban Outfitters.

Men’s fashion usually does not get much attention, but we as women do base our opinions of attractiveness on appearance.

Jalen Washington, a junior business management major, said his style reflects his personality.

“I feel like when people see me dressed they think that I’m fun and interesting because I love things that stand out or tend to get noticed,” Washington said. “So it comes off that I’m outgoing, approachable and open-minded.”

Anthony Kyte, a engineering major, said his style may seem contradicting.

“I express my style to portray myself as a business man and wants to be taken seriously,” Kyte said. “Being that I have dreads, I want to be taken seriously to steer away from the typical stereotypes.”

Breana Calhoun is a sophomore family and consumer sciences major.
She can be reached at
581-2812 or [email protected].