Students given chance to explore languages

Roberto Hodge, Multicultural Editor

Students will be able to depart from their native tongue and culture behind for a chance to learn about other languages for the annual Foreign Language Week March 4 to 11.

Foreign Language Week is a national week where colleges and universities around the United States observe another way of speaking besides English.

Carlos Amaya, the coordinator for Eastern’s foreign language week, said the event happens every year during March both nationally and at the university.

Amaya said students with the idea of unifying the different cultures mostly organize the week at Eastern.

Students majoring in Foreign Languages at Eastern can take courses in Chinese, Latin, Italian, Spanish, French, German and Russian.

Sabor Latino will take place at 5 p.m. Friday in Coleman Hall room 1130.  The event will be a culinary tour of Latin America featuring a discussion of foods common in the Latin communities as well as in specific regions such as Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean.

The following week, the German Sesame Street will be aired at 3:30 p.m. Monday in Coleman Hall room 1120, which will allow students to learn the language with Sesame Street characters.

A film will also be shown the same day titled “The German Doctor” at 5 p.m. in the Coleman Hall Auditorium. The film is about a German doctor who meets an Argentinean family and follows them to a small town where the family starts a new life. They welcome the doctor into the family not knowing they are harboring a dangerous criminal.

Students will also be able to learn what types of careers they can use with their foreign language degree other than teaching at 4 p.m. Wednesday in Coleman Hall 1120. Stephen Canfield, the chairman of the department of foreign languages, will give an overview on what careers are open to them.

For a full calendar of events, those interested can visit The Daily Eastern News website.

Roberto Hodge can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].