Student uses unique sound to revive nightlife

Cayla Maurer, Verge Editor

Jake ‘Mij’ Armijo, 24, came to Eastern after three years of playing hockey in Minnesota and Massachusetts. Although Armijo came in as a business major, his Technological Systems class with Applied Engineering Technology professor, David Melton, changed his mind about what he wanted to do with the rest of his life.

Armijo DJ’s at Marty’s Bar on Wednesday for Ladies Night and every other Thursday. Armijo also DJ’s at Stu’s Bar and Martini Lounge Saturday nights.

We sat down to talk with Armijo about his inspirations, music and plans for the future.

The Verge: Growing up, who did you get inspiration from?

Mij: “Everyone. My father is a huge CCR fan. The Beach Boys, the Beatles, Van Morrison, Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Knicks. Anything old rock ‘n roll. I just love music. Period.

V: Who do you listen to now to get inspiration?

M: “Now that I’m tackling my own production I look at guys like Sonny Moore. Skrillex’s production is just so good. Haters say ‘well, this guy does this and this guy does that.’ Same with Taylor Swift. But when you listen to these people and they have their own sound and own vibe… When their song comes on, you know it’s Skrillex or Taylor. I also like Duke Dumont.”

V: You DJ as ‘Mij and Friends’ occasionally. Who’s the ‘friends?’

M: “My buddy Max Gassman, he goes by Max Weber, has been making music since he was a kid as well. We just clicked immediately. Another buddy, Packey Sims, is a drummer and we were in the same pledge class in Sigma Chi so we were together for three years. So, it’s me, Max, Packey and my buddy Jerry. Everyone does their job. Everyone has fun. It’s a good time.”

V: Why do you play music?

M: “I play music because it’s my escape. When I branched away from hockey, I didn’t have that escape. Then I found DJ’ing. I could have a horrible day, but then I’ll be at the bar by 11 o’clock at night, waiting for everyone to come in and then when everyone comes in…No matter how tired I am, it’s just gone. I’m just mixin’ music. I’m free.”

V: What’s your favorite thing about working at local bars like Marty’s and Stu’s?

M: “My ability of expression. I like that at Marty’s I can play rap, rock or pop. I can take requests and please the people. At Stu’s, I can take people on a journey with me. I love that. I obviously love the people, too. I meet a lot of great people.”

To stay up-to-date on Mij’s work, head to soundcloud/jakemij.

Cayla Maurer can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].