SACIS and the ROC to host “Rock out Against Rape”

The Sexual Assault Counseling and Information Center and Roc’s Restaurant and Lounge will be hosting “Rock Out Against Rape,” at 7 p.m. Friday in the Top of the Roc’s Restaurant and Lounge.

This is the first time SACIS and the Roc will be having this event, which will be open to anyone 21-years-old and over.

Reverend Robert, along with The Moondogs are lined up as the entertainment for the evening.

Mike Knoop, the owner of Top of the Roc’s Restaurant and Lounge, said Reverend Robert can play a variety of instruments, and both musicians are “local and talented”.

According to his website, Reverend Robert’s music consists of many different styles, and has become accomplished at many other early twentieth century styles including ragtime and early jazz, Hawaiian, African and Caribbean in the past two decades.

The Moondogs have a slightly different style.

According to their Facebook page, they have more of an “upbeat, rock style” to their music.

Knoop said the music that will be played is “a lot of old tunes, (and) enjoyable music”.

Along with the music, there will also be a silent auction during the event, and t-shirt’s being sold.

SACIS will also be auctioning off items donated by local artisans and businesses.

SACIS has begun their silent auction early by opening it up to Facebook users.

On their Facebook page, SACIS has a photo album with the items that are available. This photo album will be available until 7 p.m Friday,  allowing those who cannot attend the event to participate.

Knoop said he decided to host the event with SACIS because “(he) knew a lot of the people involved, and (rape) is something more people should be concerned about.”

Admission to the event is $10, or $5 with a student ID.

Mackenzie Freund can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].