Women’s tennis set for match with Flyers

Chris Picazzo, Staff Reporter

The Eastern women’s tennis team (0-1) will travel to Terre Haute on Saturday to face the University of Dayton (1-1) at 2 p.m.

The Panthers are coming off a 1-6 loss against Indiana University and the team is hoping to bounce back this week against Dayton.

Freshman Grace Summers of Eastern defeated senior Alecia Kauss of Indiana University in singles with scores of 6-7, 1-2, ret.

Director of Tennis and the women’s head coach John Blackburn said the team is looking at last week’s match to help them improve on execution of the game for this week’s match.

“We got smashed last week,” Blackburn said. “I think we did a lot of things well, but just execution in certain situations, I think, will help us do better.”

Dayton’s women’s tennis team is coming off a 1-6 loss against the University of Northern Iowa.

Dayton doubles team of freshman Marlys Bridgham and sophomore Mandy Merchant defeated sophomore Elvira Lopez and sophomore Jieke Stroobant of Northern Iowa 7-6.  Bridgham also grabbed a victory in singles.

Blackburn said the teams will be matched fairly well this weekend.

“They have some talented players and I think it will be a match where it will be pretty evenly matched,” Blackburn said.  “It’s going to convey on who plays well in a situation and it will probably come down to the difference in a match.”

Blackburn said a key to victory against Dayton will be how the team competes in doubles and singles.

“I think starting with doubles.  It’s hard to control doubles matches and it’s a big tennis coach thing to set the tone for the match,” Blackburn said.

Blackburn also said he wants everyone on singles to, “come out playing hard,” and to compete for what they have discussed at practice this year.

“How the team competes will be a key to getting the victory,” Blackburn said.

Blackburn is satisfied with how the team has competed so far and said they have potential to be great.

“I think the girls have had great practices,” Blackburn said.  “I’m really happy with the way the team has come together this year.  We worked really hard, and we are close to being a really good team this year.”

Chris Picazzo can be reached at [email protected] or 581-2812.