Students roll into the semester at Up All Nite

Stephanie White

Corinthian Bethel, a senior family and consumer sciences major, roller skates for the “Rollbouce” event during Up All Nite Friday in the University Ballroom in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Marcus Curtis, Staff Reporter

The University Ballroom was a dim-lit room accented with flashing colorful disco lights and classic ‘70s tunes to add to the top off the University Board’s “rollbounce” theme, during Up All Nite on Friday.

The Martin Luther King Jr. University Ballroom slowly filled up with students who waited in line to rent out skates provided by neon entertainment.

A few students lost their balance and hit the mat placed over the tile floor in the University Ballroom, but it did not discourage the participants from getting back up and trying it again.

The ‘70s style music playing in the background eventually changed to modern songs which more students were familiar with. Songs from rappers and singers such as Chief Keef, Chris Brown, Usher, and Katy Perry sent skaters into frenzy. Students lined up behind each other and held onto each other’s shoulders as they skated and sang along to some of their favorite songs the DJ played.

Skating not only deemed as a chance for students to show off their skating skills, but also to learn how to skate.

Corinthian Bethel, a senior family consumer sciences major, showed off his skating skills rolling backwards around the University Ballroom in his personal pair of black roller skates.

Bethel said part of his reasoning for attending UB’s “Rollbounce” themed Up All Nite, was to show off his skills and teach others how to skate.

He was one of many students who helped other students maintain their balance; he even managed to show them a couple of techniques.

“Skating is my talent, I do this every weekend back at home in Chicago,” Bethel said. “I thought this was a good opportunity to come out and help others skate.”

The fear of falling influenced a few students to watch the festivities or participate in the other activities UB had to offer including Bowling and Bingo.

Students who were not interested in skating could migrate down the hall to the Grand Ballroom where Bingo took place.

The front half of the University ballroom was filled with tables and chairs where participants seated to compete to win electronics in bingo.

On the other side of the University Ballroom there were activities where people could make a customize license plate with pictures and letters of their choice.

In addition, there was a section where someone could get a custom airbrush towel and a personal caricature.

Ronnica Anderson, a family consumer sciences graduate student, said she enjoyed “Up All Nite” because it gives students a variety of things to participate in besides other social events such as parties.

“It takes away from the parties that most students would rather go to, it’s like a family thing and you can bring your kids or your friends,” Anderson said.

Darius Francis, a senior communication studies major and UB chair, said there was an estimate of 200-300 people in attendance.

Francis said he expected students to come out and have a good time to walk away with something fun and positive to start off the semester. As long as students experienced that, “Up All Nite” was successful to him.

Marcus Curtis can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].