ROTC students receive scholarships

Freshman finance major John “Ben” Jackson and freshman biology major Shamus Shields are awarded scholarships totaling over $75,000 during a ceremony in front of the Eastern ROTC Panther Battalion on Thursday in the north gym of McAfee.

Stephanie Markham, News Editor

Two freshman involved in ROTC received $75,808 each in U.S. Army Cadet Command scholarships to be applied to various university costs over the next three years of their education.

Ben Jackson, a finance major from Charleston, and Shamus Shields, a biology major from Mokena, were honored in a ceremony Thursday and awarded Advanced Designee scholarships, which require them to maintain a 3.0 GPA and pass a physical fitness test.

During a period of six semesters, the students will receive about $29,000 in tuition and about the same amount toward room and board, as well as $3,600 for books, about $1,300 for student fees, and tax-free stipends ranging from $350 to $500 per month.

Gordon Ramey, the enrollment and scholarship officer for ROTC, said the recipients stood out because they were quality students who met the standards for academics and also had leadership potential, adding that they both are Eagle Scouts.

“In an organization like this, it’s full of A-personalities, so it’s kind of hard to stand out in an A-personality organization,” Ramey said. “But these two young men did.”

Lt. Col. Eric Savickas, leader of the ROTC program, told ROTC members attending the ceremony that although scholarships are limited, they should still work hard so they can attain one when more opportunities come around.

“I know that we are living in constrained fiscal times here in the United States,” Savickas said. “The budgets that we once enjoyed in the army, at least when I was in in the ‘90s and early 2000s, money was good, and that’s tightened up a little bit.”

Savickas said those who did not receive scholarships should not be disheartened.

“The message that you take home from this is if you try hard like I’ve always asked you to do and you accomplish things and meet the standards of what we’re asking, those possibilities are there for you,” he said.

Ramey said scholarships for ROTC students are helpful because they can focus on training and classes without having to worry about finding a part-time or potentially a full-time job.

“The increasing financial burden for students for a four-year college degree is just enormous,” Ramey said. “So I think these students would probably want to be part of the ROTC program regardless, but with us being able to help them out, it’s not as much stress.”

Both students said they joined ROTC to help pay for school, and they plan to enlist in the military after graduation.

Stephanie Markham can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].