New dance team channels ‘Wild N’ Out’

Chynna Miller| The Daily Eastern News Jacqueline Osinaike, a senior family and consumer sciences major, and Dani Cooper, a junior family and consumer sciences major, hype up the crowd Wednesday during the Wild N Out event in the 7th Street Underground.

Nicholas Ruffalo, Staff Reporter

It’s time for Wild N’ Out.

Idiotic Jive Chapter Two re-enacted the popular MTV show Wednesday night to a packed house.

In a matchup of Purple vs. Green, the Purple Team came out on top, but the real winner was the community.

With a reduced entry fee for those who brought canned goods, Idiotic Jive was able to donate food to Charleston Food Pantry.

The pantry is one Idiotic Jive’s president, Jacqueline Osinaike, is familiar with already.

“Out here you have to have a job in order to get a LINK card,” Osinaike said. “I wanted to give back because they helped me all summer. I had no food; I used to go to the food pantry once a week.”

Her dance team is new to campus, so the event doubled as a promotional tool.

“We do all types of dances like ballet, majorette, cheerleading and Hip-Hop,” Osinaike said. “We didn’t get approved until this semester, so our biggest goal is to get our name out there and show we are willing to give back to the community.”

The game itself featured five original “Wild N’ Out” categories and one adaptation.

“Bail Me Out” started the night with one member from each team trying to guess the celebrity their teammates were impersonating. Team Purple, led by Osinaike, identified the like of Solange Knowles and former President Bill Clinton, while Team Green tied them with Bow Wow, E-40 and Tyler Perry among the correct answers.

After “Let Me Holla” and “Nursery Rhyme Remix,” teams pleaded their case for “How Fly” their captain was.

Team Purple took that game and the final “WildStyle,” securing a victory. Overall, Osinaike says the event was a success.

“We just wanted to find something to get the black community at Eastern involved,” Osinaike said. “It was a success; a lot of people brought canned goods and some people just donated money, so that helped us out a lot.”

Osinaike said Idiotic Jive is planning to have a “Dance Down” next semester, where schools come to Charleston and compete for cash prizes.

“We were also thinking of having a fundraiser with that and give back to Teen Reach,” Osinaike said. “We like to make people feel like they’re part of something. As an incoming freshman, it is hard to meet people, so we welcome them in and make them feel comfortable.”

Nicholas Ruffolo can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].