Women’s golf wraps up season

Bob Reynolds, Staff Reporter

The Eastern women’s golf team will be wrapping up its fall season at the Braun Intercollegiate at the Quail Crossing Golf Course in Boonville, Ind., on Monday and Tuesday.

This will be the first time the Panthers are playing in this tournament.  Lipscomb, Southern Illinois-Edwardsville, Dayton, Indiana State, Butler, Wichita State, Northern Iowa, Valparaiso, Northern Kentucky, Southern Indiana, IUPUI, Tennessee State, Loyola and Evansville.

Last year in this tournament, there were 14 teams including in-state rivals Southern Illinois-Edwardsville and Loyola-Chicago.

Loyola won the tournament last season and will look to do the same this year as they come into this tournament on a roll. The Ramblers have placed in first twice this season, while also having two top five finishes.

The Panthers on the other hand have been struggling this season and have not finished at the bottom or near the bottom of any tournament. They have come in last place in two tournaments this season and second to last in one tournament.

As a team, the Panthers are averaging 89.75 strokes over par and have not shot under 87 over par as a team this season.

Newcomer Annie Getzin has been the best Panther golfer this season in terms of average with shooting an average round of 82.

Freshman Chole Wong is the only Panther to record a top-10 finish this season, when she shot 17-over-par for the two rounds at the Western Illinois Invitational.

The Panthers recorded their best round this season at the Western Illinois Invitational, when they shot +39 as a team for those two rounds and still finished in last place out of five teams.

The team’s struggles date back to last season, where they did not have one top five finish at all and had multiple last place finishes.

Last time out, the Panthers competed in the Dayton Fall Invitational and finished 15th out of 16 teams. The Panthers shot a team total of 666 and led by Getzin.

Getzin shot a plus-16 for the tournament and finished 13th overall. The team had no other golfer crack the top 50. Tiffany Wolf finished with a total of plus-26. Anne Bahr finished with a plus-29 and Wong finished with a plus-36.

The Panthers will continue their season in the spring.

Bob Reynolds can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]