Homecoming Court winners announced

Chynna Miller | The Daily Eastern News

Chynna Miller| The Daily Eastern News The runner up and the newly crowned homecoming court pose for photo after the Homecoming Coronation Cermony Monday in McAfee Gymnasium. In order from left to right: Samantha DeYoung, James Smith, Catie Witt, Tylen Elliot, Alexis Lambert, Brandal Miles, Brittany Fisher and Stephen Simpson.

Debby Hernandez, Administration Editor

The night began with excited and anticipated faces as Greek and non-Greek members cheered through roll calls and nominee names, as they eagerly waited for their Homecoming court winners to be announced in the McAfee Gym Monday.

Dressed in long gleaming gowns of bright vivid colors, translucent lace, elegant black gowns and stylish mermaid dresses, the nominated ladies walked gracefully along with their sharply dressed black suit male companions.

The audience stirred in their seats as the announcer began to name the winners of this year’s Homecoming Court. The winners of the Homecoming King and Queen were Black Student Union members Brandal Miles and Alexis Lambert.

Miles said the experience was unexpected.

“It was surreal. I didn’t expect to win,” he said. “I will go to the (homecoming) events and will be at the parade Saturday.”

Meanwhile Lambert said she was thrilled to have won.

“The feelings I have can’t be explained,” she said. “I appreciate those who supported us, especially the Black Student Union.”

Lambert said she hopes to encourage everyone to attend Homecoming events in order to show the panther pride.

Prior to the announcement, with excited and smiling faces the nominees walked through the bridge of formal dressed soldiers who were standing tall as they held up their rapiers. As each nominated couple was announced, both Greek and non-Greek life audience members cheered in support for each nominee.

This year’s homecoming prince was Black Student Union member Tylen Elliott.

“I am very excited,” Elliot said. “I am going to all of the homecoming events to support.”

The Homecoming princess winner was Alpha Gamma Delta member Catelin Witt, who said her win came to her as a surprise.

Homecoming winners for other court positions were also announced, with this year being the first with a nomination for Lord and Lady.

Lord and Lady winners include Lamda Chi Alpha member James Smith and Alpha Phi member Samantha DeYoung. The duke and duchess winners were Student Senate member Stephen Simpson and Delta Sigma Theta member Brittany Fisher.

The king and queen will be present at the Homecoming parade and will hold their title until the next coronation in fall 2015. Winners are required to attend Homecoming events. The king and queen must present themselves as the campus representatives until the following year.

Debby Hernandez can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].